My Blog List

People I Know

Eclectic Folks

Media Blogs

Politics, Policy Blogs

Page Rank

Check Page Rank of your Web site pages instantly:

This page rank checking tool is powered by Page Rank Checker service

Tuesday, February 21, 2006

Cerealized


Here's something I've never admitted to: I have a Seinfeldian interest in breakfast cereals.

I'm pretty sure it started by reading the sides of the packages when I was a kid.
Riboflavin, I discovered, was Vitamin B-2! Niacin, Vitamin B-3!

So, I was quite excited to find out that Sunday was the 100th anniversary of breakfast cereal. On February 19, 1906, William Keith Kellogg incorporated the Battle Creek Toasted Corn Flake Company. He and his older brother, Dr. John Harvey Kellogg, while working at a Battle Creek sanitarium, accidentally invented the process for making cereal flakes. W.K.'s company, of course, became Kellogg's.

Personally, I like to mix my non-presweeted cereals. They must differ by grain and by shape. Cereal generally comes in
Corn
Oats
Rice
Wheat
and is shaped like a
ball
flake
oh
pellet
square (or rectangle)

So, among popular cereals:
Cb- Kix
Cf- corn flakes
Cs- Corn Chex
Oo- Cheerios
Rp- Rice Krispies
Rs- Rice Chex
Wf- Wheaties, raisin bran
Ws- shredded wheat, Wheat Chex

So, if I start with a Ws, say Spoon-Sized Shredded Wheat, I can add an Rp, an Oo, and/or a Cf, e.g., but not a Wf (because it'd be two wheat cereals) or Rs, because it
would be two squares.

I don't mix pre-sweetened cereals, as I recall Rory and her friends did on Gilmore Girls. Some of the sweetened cereals of my youth have changed their names. Sugar Smacks are Honey Smacks. Sugar Pops are now Corn Pops.

Happy anniversary to the breakfast cereal. It is another reflection of the effectiveness, of the power of advertising, especially in the television era - "K-E-double L-O-double Good, Kellogg's best to you."

3 comments:

Tom the Dog said...

Wow, that is some precise cereal consumption.

I loved cereal as a kid, but I probably haven't eaten a bowl of cereal in five years. Mainly because I never eat breakfast. I'm not a leisurely enjoy-my-breakfast kind of morning person. I'm an oversleeping, already-ten-minutes-late kind of morning person.

GayProf said...

*Sigh* I eat All-Bran Bran-Buds these days.

Anonymous said...

Roger,

I have never mixed my cereals, that I can recall.

"Do you mix your cereals?" could be a good ice-breaker.

JR