My Blog List

People I Know

Eclectic Folks

Media Blogs

Politics, Policy Blogs

Page Rank

Check Page Rank of your Web site pages instantly:

This page rank checking tool is powered by Page Rank Checker service

Saturday, July 01, 2006

"The champagne was..."

We tried to keep Lydia from watching TV before she was 2, and even now we try to limit it. But I was curious just what WAS out there for kids. So, I was flicking through the kids' tier of programming recently when I came across as show called Popular Mechanics for Kids. It purportedly starred a tween boy and girl, but clearly the girl was the star. (In fact, at some point, the boy was replaced.) The girl, Elisha, is a goalie in a hockey match! Elisha makes her own rap song! I looked at the credits. The show was filmed in the later 1990s (1996 or 1997, for the episodes I looked at), by some Canadian production company. And Elisha turned out to be Elisha Cuthbert, the Perils-of-Kim-Bauer co-star of the FOX TV show "24" .



This got me thinking about famous Canadians. When I grew up I knew about Lorne Greene, Pa Cartwright on "Bonanza", and Joni Mitchell, and Neil Young. But there are lots more: Sandra Oh, Rachel McAdams, Mars Bonfire (writer of that American classic, "Born to Be Wild")

So, in honor of Canada Day, check out:

Well Known People Who Happen to be Canadian

Famous Canadians

It's a beauty way to go.

2 comments:

GayProf said...

Canada really took thier children's programming seriously.

Greg said...

Yeah, Elisha Cuthbert was blogging about hockey for a while. Apparently she's a big fan.