My Blog List

People I Know

Eclectic Folks

Media Blogs

Politics, Policy Blogs

Page Rank

Check Page Rank of your Web site pages instantly:

This page rank checking tool is powered by Page Rank Checker service

Tuesday, July 18, 2006

LINKS: July 2006

Every once in a while, I come across things that catch my fancy, and I link to them, such as:

Librarians Help People Turn Their Hobbies Into Small Businesses. I did not know librarians could be so helpful. (Said the librarian for small businesses. See, I just can't do snarky.)

Revver is a video sharing system (think YouTube) that I read about in the Wall Street Journal. Their angle: they pay you for your video.

MySpace Rules the Web. Part of Rupert Murdock's contining plan for world domination.

Is Windows 98 a Living Fossil? If you still have it, you're probably in for some rude surprises.

It's hard to get people excited about budget cuts for the Census Bureau, but if we end up doing a 2010 Census with the long form again, instead of having data every year, which the ACS would provide, don't come crying to me.

Why Are Americans So Angry? by Congressman Ron Paul (R-TEXAS)

And because it realy ticks me off, Shout the Names of the the Wrongly Executed.

Of course, I'm a linking piker compared to one Greg Burgas, who this week posted things such as these:

*A story of an anti-abortionist who thought a satirical piece in the Onion was real (picture with his initial reply not suited for two-year olds)
*An article about an 83-year old who traded drugs for sex (I actually felt sorry for the guy)
*Folks who are thrilled with world crises, because the Rapture is closer than ever (arrgh!)
But one of his links does not give any credit to sex columnist Dan Savage of Savage Love and his readers for the derivation of the noun santorum, the first hit you'll find for the word if you put in Google.

Of course, I blame Greg for not being able to sleep last night. It was 114F in Phoenix a couple days ago, and all that hot air came this way, so that it was 95F here yesterday (and well above 70F, and humid, last night.)
***
And because it struck me as more true than funny:

Lutheran Squirrels Story

There were four country churches in a small TEXAS town:
The Presbyterian Church , the Baptist Church, the LUTHERAN Church and the Roman Catholic Church.

Each church was overrun with pesky squirrels.

One day, the Presbyterian Church called a meeting to decide what to do about the squirrels. After much prayer and consideration they determined that the
squirrels were predestined to be there and they shouldn't interfere with God's divine will.

In the BAPTIST CHURCH, the squirrels had taken up habitation in the baptistery.
The deacons met and decided to put a cover on the baptistery and drown the squirrels in it. The squirrels escaped somehow and there were twice as many there the next week.

The Catholic group got together and decided that they were not in a position to harm any of God's creation. So, they humanely trapped the Squirrels and set them free a few miles outside of town.
Three days later, the squirrels were back.

But -- the LUTHERAN CHURCH came up with the best and most effective solution:
They CONFIRMED the squirrels as members of the church.
Now they only see them on Christmas and Easter.


As a relatively new Presbyterian, I can vouch for that methodology is likely would happen.

4 comments:

Greg said...

That's a good joke. I didn't realize it was from Savage Love that we get "santorum" - the place I found it didn't mention that. I'm not surprised - I enjoy Savage Love, and this is the kind of thing he would come up with.

Onlinefocus Team said...

Can you tell me more about Ron Paul? Very interesting speech, I thought, partly because it wasn't predictable.

Roger Owen Green said...

Chris- my friend Mark told me that many of Paul's statements that he's read show him to be more of a Libertarian bent than a Republican. Mark, though wary of the politics of Libertarians, has always found the Congressman's comments well reasoned and plain-speaking. Mark wrote me: "I believe that the following speaks candidly to the concerns that those of us not in denial feel about the policies of the Bush administration."
Paul has a bunch of articles here: http://www.lewrockwell.com/paul/paul-arch.html and the Wikipedia piece is here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ron_Paul

Onlinefocus Team said...

Thanks Roger!