My Blog List

People I Know

Eclectic Folks

Media Blogs

Politics, Policy Blogs

Page Rank

Check Page Rank of your Web site pages instantly:

This page rank checking tool is powered by Page Rank Checker service

Sunday, October 31, 2021

The office suite dream (not so sweet)

IIn October, I had a dream that was surprisingly vivid after I awoke. 

I was in an office with a long and narrow hall. Entering one hall, a friend of mine, who used to work in the music business, was sleeping at their desk. They had been working a second job in the evening, related to the music industry, and they were tired. One office appeared to be unoccupied, but, going around the corner was a guy at a desk. He was annoyed that I barged in, but I just needed an empty space. Another (real-life) friend I couldn't find.

What is the meaning of this?


There appears to be two sources of this dream. One is a friend of mine who was complaining that they now have to share a space with another, both full-time workers, in order to facilitate a couple of part-time employees. The other involved my last job location at 10 North Pearl Street. I came back to work in October 2015, just after my hernia operation.

To say that I was disappointed would be a gross understatement. Everyone save for the secretary and two of the librarians had doors. The secretary at least had this fortress and was front-facing. The other librarian had a wall on one side of the cubicle. But mine was right on the corner. There was no way to sit without someone coming up from behind me. I was startled regularly.

On Day One, I requested a glassine attachment to the top of the cubicle. It would have made the walls about six feet tall, rather than five. And though I re-requested this at least twice more, I never got them. And because I was in this open space, visitors, repair people, and folks who got lost were always asking me for directions, which was truly distracting.

Finally, ten months later, startled one more time, I said that I needed to move. The only place I could go was this large storage area, actually only three meters from where I was sitting. And I was given this option early on, but I wanted to try to be geographically closer to the others in a team-like setting. Still, the move involved a loud discussion, during which I left the office for a time, lest I say something regrettable.

Going to the closet


So I got my move. People in the other department on our floor didn't understand why I'd move to a glorified closet. It's because I could be front-facing with no one coming up behind me.  I stayed there and it was tolerable. Well except that some anonymous person ratted me out for taking off my shoes while I was sitting at my desk, and it got written up. Such petty BS, and I'm pretty sure I know who it was.

Finally, an office with a door became available in November 2018. I was not all that interested in moving yet again, since I knew I'd be departing soon. But I took it anyway, and l left at the end of June 2019. 

For the last year and a half of work, I was seeing a therapist. They believed that it'd all be better once I retired. And I should note that I don't think much about the place. (And there's lots more I could note, but won't.)

But I was talking to my good friend in France in early September. She's a therapist. When she mentioned my former job,  I displayed a flash of anger she found surprising.It's not that I spend any real time thinking about the place consciously. But the subconscious must still be ticked off.  


No comments: