My Blog List

People I Know

Eclectic Folks

Media Blogs

Politics, Policy Blogs

Page Rank

Check Page Rank of your Web site pages instantly:

This page rank checking tool is powered by Page Rank Checker service

Friday, June 17, 2005

Father's Day

The first Father's Day without my father, in 2001, was the hardest time I had since he died in August 2000. Harder than his funeral (when I went on autopilot), Christmas, or my parents' anniversary or even his birthday (which came only a month and a half after his death, so perhaps I hadn't fully absorbed it.)
That first Father's Day, the world seemed to prattle on, like verbal bullies on the playground, "We have a father, and you--- don't."

Father's Day 2002 and 2003 were somewhat better, though I found myself occasionally jealous of people with fathers.

Father's Day 2004 was definitely a mixed bag. It was the first year I was a father and I got a lot of affirmation, especially from my mother, my sisters, my fellow church members, my friends.
Still, I was missing my father in a whole new way. I wondered, "What kind of advice would he have given me?" and "Would I have accepted it?" I felt that whatever he might have said to my sisters when they were raising their daughters wouldn't necessarily apply to me. It was a "guy thing", but I don't know how that would manifest itself in this situation. And, of course, I wish that my father had been able to see my daughter. (A belief in an afterlife assuages this only marginally.)

As another Father's Day approaches, I hope that Lydia will give me socks, like I gave my dad. I think that this year, I'll be able to concentrate on the joy instead of the sorrow. Indeed, I know that I'm feeling easier now about being a father. It's not that I know much more; it's that I'm not so concerned about not knowing what I'm doing like I did last year. (This may be a function of the fact that I have had somewhat more sleep in June 2005 than in June 2004.)

And I hope that if someone reading this has a living father with whom he or she is estranged, reconciliation may be found. Despite our occasional turmoil, my father and I ended up in a pretty good place with each other. For that, I do feel very fortunate.

No comments: