My Blog List

People I Know

Eclectic Folks

Media Blogs

Politics, Policy Blogs

Page Rank

Check Page Rank of your Web site pages instantly:

This page rank checking tool is powered by Page Rank Checker service

Monday, October 30, 2006

Enthroned In The Hearts Of Kings-Mixed CD

Here's the thing about the disc I described yesterday. While I liked the songs, I didn't like the flow terribly much. So I decided to scrap it and start over. But I needed a first song, and a feel. The feel became a bit of Johnny Cash and Bob Dylan.

QUALITY OF MERCY-Michelle Shocked. This is a song from the Dead Man Walking soundtrack. It's the title song, as it were, for in the Billy Shakes play Merchant of Venice, Portia has an impressive speech, from which I took the title of this disc.
Johnny Cash connection: He also has a song on the soundtrack, In Your Mind.
WHO KILLED DAVEY MOORE? - Pete Seeger. From that 1963 live album I bought recently.
Bob Dylan connection: written by Bob.
DON'T TAKE YOUR GUNS TO TOWN- Charlie Robison. Love the feel.
Johnny Cash connection: from a JRC tribute album.
I HUNG MY HEAD - Sting. Great song.
Johnny Cash connection: covered by Johnny, and arguably done better.
FOLSOM PRISON BLUES-Keb' Mo'. He changes a vital lyric! Still, I love the performance.
Johnny Cash connection: from a JRC tribute album.
RUN FOR YOUR LIFE-Beatles. "Rather see you dead, little girl." Without looking it up, I seem to recall, John pretty much disavowing this song.
Bob Dylan connection: likely written after the Beatles and Dylan smoked dope together.
PRETTY POLLY - Judy Collins. Starts off softly, but packs a punch, featuring guitar by Steve Stills. Murder ballad. "Suite: Judy Blue Eyes", indeed.
Bob Dylan connection: on the album Who Knows Where The Time Goes, which featurers this cut, Judy also sings Dylan's Poor Immigrant.
DELIA'S GONE -Johnny Cash. From his first American Recordings album.
Johnny Cash connection: The very first song on that disc.
GOODBYE EARL - Dixie Chicks. Controversial because the protagonist gets away with murder. With a video that's been heavily parodied.
Johnny Cash connection: their most recent album was produced by Rick Rubin, who produced Johnny's American Recordings in the 1990s and beyond.
WHERE DID YOU SLEEP LAST NIGHT - Nirvana - I knew this as a Leadbelly song.
Bob Dylan connection: performed by Bob in 1961 and in 1990.
'TIL I DIE- Beach Boys. Someone once suggested that I ask my church choir to sing this. It's too nihilist, and, as I suspected, about suicide. But it IS beautiful.
Bob Dylan connection: The Beach Boys and Dylan performed at the same festival in 2003. Both have a Top 5 album on the Rolling Stone: The 500 Greatest Albums of All Time list.
SUICIDE ALLEY -Shawn Colvin. One DOES want a response to suicide, and this is it.
Bob Dylan connection: For Bob Dylan: The 30th Anniversary Concert Celebration, Mary-Chapin Carpenter, Rosanne Cash and Shawn Colvin sang You Ain't Goin' Nowhere.
DEATH IS NOT THE END- Nick Cave. Last song on the sometimes brutal "Murder Ballads" album.
Bob Dylan connection: written by Bob.

I think this album has a better flow to it, with men killing men, then men killing women, women killing men, and people threatening to kill themselves.

The problem I had was copying it, for I couldn't get it not to do strange things during the playback at a certain point. Finally, I isolated the problem: the Nirvana track was somehow defective, although not audibly so, so the five-minute track kept going and going and going, messing up everything past it. I ended up buying the cut on iTunes (buying a song I already own, ironically, which SHOULD make up for something), and it seemed to work OK.

Please let me know if you'd like a copy.