My Blog List

People I Know

Eclectic Folks

Media Blogs

Politics, Policy Blogs

Page Rank

Check Page Rank of your Web site pages instantly:

This page rank checking tool is powered by Page Rank Checker service

Tuesday, September 09, 2008

Did You Miss Me? Didn't Think So


One of the wonderful features about Blogger is that I can write posts and then have them publish on future dates. I was in Chicago from Tuesday through Saturday - more on that not just anon, but for a couple of weeks - and except for about an hour on Friday, when I could check my Gmail and AOL accounts and print my boarding ticket for my return flight, I had no access to the Internet, unless I wanted to spend 47 cents per minute. Note: I did not.

Writing ahead wasn't all that difficult. What IS hard is getting started again. For me, there's a blogging rhythm. If I'm posting every day, I'm probably writing at least every other day. When I came back from this trip, though, I needed to spend time with my wife and daughter, check my work e-mail (accessible from home, but not elsewhere remotely - 300 deleted on Sunday), mow the lawn (though I had mowed it Sunday or Monday before I left, the rain during the week, especially the remnants of Tropical Storm Hanna, made it necessary again), church and other tasks precludes blogging. Here's something: my suitcase probably weighed 15 pounds on the way to the conference; it weighed 41.3 pounds on the way back, so I had to sort through all that conference swag, papers, and whatnot.

But it's more about the momentum. A blogger in motion tends to stay in motion; a blogger at rest tends to stay at rest. I have PLENTY to write about. (Rose, BTW, has some ideas about what to blog about if you don't.)

Oh, one thing about Chicago. I tend not to tell people I'm going away until I return. Since I changed my Blogger links, though, that was undermined. I knew in the first case it would be, so when it happened the second time, it was no big deal. Time #1 was when my colleague Amelia wrote: Blogging for Your SBDC - Roger and Amelia go to Chicago back on August 27, the cat was rather out of the bag. Then when Gordon mentions we went to a Cubs game together, well the jig was really up. As I tweeted (that's what you do on Twitter), someone tweeted about a session I attended in Chicago in real time; I'm still disinclined.

A couple things about the Cubs game: someone from the Astros, Ty Wiggington, hit a two-run homer; he used to be with the Mets . Meanwhile, a Cubs runner was thrown out at the plate; a MOST unpopular call, and at least one Cubs fan in our section was very loud and vocal in his "appreciation" of the ump's brain functions. But the very worst play: men on first and third for the Astros. Runner on first caught 30 feet from first base and caught in a pickle (rundown). So the runner at third heads for home. Instead of trying to tag the runner heading back to first, the middle infielder throws home, but muffs it. The one runner scores, and the other's safe at second; Little Leaguers would have done it better. I had the Cubs going to the World series from the beginning of the season - ouch.


ROG

4 comments:

Gary ("Old Dude") said...

now confused ---are ya home or still in Chi-town?---not that it really matters---aw hell forget I asked, give my regards to your wife, dog and all----sounds like ya got a good bunch of swag?? (lol)

Roger Owen Green said...

I was gone sept 2-6, and now I'm back.

Aunt T said...

Hi Roger! Thanks for commenting on my post. I know, the Texans aren't a top notch team, but as a Steelers fan it was a fun game to be at.

I see that you're a librarian. I'm in my first semester of my MLS program. I'm excited to read your blogs and maybe gleen some wisdom from your experiences!

Take Care,
Tracey

Anonymous said...

Nice post, sound's like you had fun in Chicago. A friend of mine took me to my first rave (party) there. Was the last one I went to, but it was fun in old Chicago anyway.

I agree, there is a momentum, especially when there isn't a disconnected trip involved! hehe