My Blog List

People I Know

Eclectic Folks

Media Blogs

Politics, Policy Blogs

Page Rank

Check Page Rank of your Web site pages instantly:

This page rank checking tool is powered by Page Rank Checker service

Sunday, June 28, 2009

Roger (Finally) Answers Your Questions, Scott

Scott from the Scooter Chronicles - GIVE THIS MAN A JOB! - wrote several questions:

Since obtaining your current job, have you ever thought of switching careers?

What, and leave show business? Seriously, not really. I learn something new (and sometimes interesting) every day. I work with smart people, and I provide a valuable service, if I do say so.

Besides which, I came to it so late (library school at 37, librarian at 39), I feel behind the curve compared with people who are my contemporaries agewise but have twice as much experience in the field.

Do you think the Obama administration will be able to make changes to the current health care systems? If so, do you think it will truly change for the better?

It'll be incremental change, and it'll be marginally for the better. But it won't be the sweeping changes you righteously ranted about a few months ago. I knew trouble was brewing when single-payer wasn't even on the table. I blame Sen. Max Baucus for that. Then the single-payer people were at the table but could not speak. Do not underestimate the power of the insurance lobbies.

Who do you think will be in the World Series, and who will win it?

At the beginning of the season, I picked Mets over Red Sox. Still feel the BoSox will be there. I could/should jump on the Dodgers/Cards/Phillies bandwagon, but heck with it, I'll stick with the Metropolitans.

Oh, there was an interesting article in the Wall Street Journal about "high-leverage" situation hitting versus the two-run homer in the fifth inning when you're already ahead 11-1.
These are the best and worst, through June 13.
Crucial/non-crucial
Giants .299/.254
Phillies .288/.247
Marlins .263/.231

Nationals .236/.284
Mariners .252/.279
Rays .257/.276

When growing up, did you play in any organized baseball leagues?

No. Tried out for Little League once. I was a middling to poor fielder, but what really made me give up was being at bat. This kid threw a 3-2 pitch for a strike and I never even saw it.

Is so, what position(s) did you play? (If you didn't, what position would you have liked to play?)

I played a lot of unorganized baseball. I tended to play the right side of the infield, though I'm right-handed, because my arm wasn't great. I could throw relatively accurately from second to first, but not from shortstop or third base. Also played first, since I was a large target. Actually got better getting throws in the dirt, but not throws that were too wide or too high.

I also caught some games. Didn't much enjoy it, but I could block the ball if I didn't catch it.

Who was your favorite baseball player while growing up?

Clearly, Willie Mays. He could hit for average and power, he could run and he could field well. That said, I always had an affection for National League outfielders such as Vada Pinson (Reds), Lou Brock (Cards), Billy Williams (Cubs), Hank Aaron (Braves), the Alou Brothers (Giants), Frank Robinson (Reds/Orioles), and Roberto Clemente (Pirates); I had a Clemente card that referred to him as "Bob", but he was no "Bob".

Do you have a favorite baseball player now? If so, who and why?

Albert Pujois (Cards). Seems like a decent guy and he's very good.

Any big travel plans for the summer months?

At this very moment, we were supposed to be in Williamsburg, VA with my parents-in-law, my two brothers-in-law, their wives and collectively, their three daughters. But my wife Carol has so much school work to do in preparation for going away to college for 17 days in a row later this summer that we bailed. During that 17-day run, I'll be doing the solo parenting thing. Having my wife back will be like a vacation; we did this last summer as well, so I know of what I speak.

There's talk about going somewhere in August, but so far, I'm not feeling it. I don't know about your experiences with Nigel, but my experience with Lydia is that vacation away from home is more taxing than just staying in the routine. I AM basing that on our vacation when she was three, and she's more self-sufficient now.


ROG

1 comment:

Scott said...

Thanks for the answers.

Those situational stats are interesting.

Your favorite player choices were also very interesting. Growing up, I played a lot of Strat-O-Matic baseball with my friend Kevin. He found the cards and the were players from the '63 through '65 seasons. All those players you named, minus Brock, were some of my favorites. Especially Billy Williams and the Alou brothers.

Still sticking with the Amazin's, eh? I don't think the Phillies will repeat as NL champs, but I still don't think the Mets will better them either.