My Blog List

People I Know

Eclectic Folks

Media Blogs

Politics, Policy Blogs

Page Rank

Check Page Rank of your Web site pages instantly:

This page rank checking tool is powered by Page Rank Checker service

Thursday, July 30, 2009

Poison Ivy


A good friend of mine got a case of poison ivy last week. Of course, it itched liked crazy. after passing along my concern, my mind (as usual) went to music, specifically a song I heard when I was a kid. "I think it was the Coasters," I thought, "and certainly it was written by Leiber & Stoller." And so it was.

I checked out the Wikipedia post on the song, and according to the post, "the song's lyrics are about sexually-transmitted disease", rather than the diseases stated in the bridge of the song:
Measles make you bumpy
Mumps'll make you lumpy
Chicken Pox'll make you jump and twitch
Common cold'll fool you
Whooping cough'll cool you
Poison Ivy's love'll make you itch

I did not know that.

This song went up to #7 in the pop charts in 1959, and to #1 on the R&B charts.

I don't garden - my wife does - and I've been lucky enough to avoid it while mowing the lawn.

(I HAVE used calamine lotion, though, after an allergic reaction to penicillin when I was 16; as Steve Stills said at Woodstock, "Three days, man, three days!)

The map below shows the native habitat for Toxicodendron radicans (L.) Kuntze ssp. negundo (Greene) Gillis, eastern poison ivy

ROG

1 comment:

Rose said...

Ah, and we thought those songs back in the 50's were so innocent:) You're very lucky not to have gotten poison ivy; I have a persistent vine near part of my garden, and I spend a good part of every summer slathered in calomine lotion.