My Blog List

People I Know

Eclectic Folks

Media Blogs

Politics, Policy Blogs

Page Rank

Check Page Rank of your Web site pages instantly:

This page rank checking tool is powered by Page Rank Checker service

Saturday, December 26, 2009

The Lydster, Part 69: LS's Oth Christmas


Three months before Lydia was born, I made a mixed CD for the child. We didn't know whether we were having a boy or girl, so she was called Little Soul. Or more accurately, my wife's friend Alison, who was in our wedding, dubbed her as such.

Anyway, the playlist is this, and for most of them I was able to find something on YouTube:

1. Mr. Sandman - the Chorettes. A song from the 1950s I always liked that I have on some compilation.
2. Lullabye (Good Night, My Angel) - Billy Joel. From his last proper pop album, River of Dreams. One of my favorite songs, even though, or maybe because, it has a certain melancholy.
3. Dreamland - Mary Chapin Carpenter, from her greatest hits album, Party Doll.
4. Good Night - the Beatles. From the white album, a Lennon tune sung by Ringo. I often sing it to Lydia before she goes to bed.
5. Lullaby for Sophia - the Beverwyck String Band. A lovely tune by our friend, violinist/vocalist Britney and a couple of her friends.
6. Alright for Now - Tom Petty. From my favorite Petty album, Full Moon Fever.
7. Sweet and Low - Bette Midler.(Starting at at 2:03)
8. All Through the Night - Shawn Colvin. The last two songs from some benefit album for the rain forest called Carnival, which also features Saint-Saƫns' Carnival of the Animals.
9. Common Threads - Bobby McFerrin. A song without words, a transition to the instrumental portion of the album.

Songs above are by the artist on the recording; below are not.

10. Brandenburg Concerto #5 Affectuoso - Bach.
11. Pachebel Canon. The last two by Neville Chamberlain & the English Chamber Music Orchestra.
12. Four Seasons: Autumn, adagio - Vivaldi.
13. Four Seasons: Winter, largo - Vivaldi.
14. Moonlight Sonata - Beethoven. Dubourg.
15. Fur Elise -Beethoven.

Now that she has her own boom box to go to sleep to, it's in her pile of music to play. Not that she plays it as often as I had hoped, but I'm glad that she doesn't seem to hate it.


ROG

No comments: