My Blog List

People I Know

Eclectic Folks

Media Blogs

Politics, Policy Blogs

Page Rank

Check Page Rank of your Web site pages instantly:

This page rank checking tool is powered by Page Rank Checker service

Monday, April 03, 2006

Ten things I wish I could tell my 18-year old self


Here's something I'm pretty sure I swiped from Gordon some months back.

1. Some choices at 19 are really as stupid as people say.

2. Ease up on your disdain for Richard Nixon. You'll find Presidents far more despicable, and you'll think Nixon's a gem by comparison. Really.

3. You should cut back on your LP purchases in the early 1980s, just getting the more obscure stuff. There's this new technology called the compact disc that will all but make your records obsolete.

4. You know when you were a page at Binghamton Public Library a couple years ago? That's the career line you should follow.

5. Find a dentist now. Root canal is no fun.

6. Bet on the 1986 Mets.

7. Always have a venue for singing.

8. Contact the student loan people, even if you don't have the means to repay it.

9. Go see "The Graduate"; it'll really speak to you.

10. Don't bother trying to figure out Archie or Veronica Internet protocols; something better will come along soon enough.
***
"On Wednesday of this week, at two minutes and three seconds after 1:00 in the morning, the time and date will be 01:02:03 04/05/06. This won't ever happen again." Unless you're not a purist, in which case it will happen again 12 hours later. Or you live another century, in which case it'll happen in 2106; I'm unlikely to see that.
***
Write fake news. Win prizes.
***
GO, BRUINS!
***
I'm always fascinated to find how people find this site, especially from outside the U.S. I know the folks from Singapore, and I've figured out at least one of the folks from the U.K. I've also had, in the recent past, people from Mexico, Ireland, India, and South Korea. Yesterday, I looked at the most recent 100 visitors, and it included visitors from Canada, Argentina, Venezuela, Sweden, Spain, the Netherlands, France, and... the Islamic Republic of Iran. Oh, please don't let the CIA know I've been contacted by a national from one of the so-called "Axis of Evil" countries. Thanks - it'll be our little secret.

1 comment:

Roger Owen Green said...

You know about "block text and expose"?

Anyway, today- Domimnican Republic, U.S. VI and Belgium.