My Blog List

People I Know

Eclectic Folks

Media Blogs

Politics, Policy Blogs

Page Rank

Check Page Rank of your Web site pages instantly:

This page rank checking tool is powered by Page Rank Checker service

Saturday, March 01, 2008

Movies Forgotten QUESTION

I got an e-mail from my eldest niece Rebecca this week: I just finished reading your blog from today and from this past week... I enjoy watching movies, too, like you do, and I was wondering if you have seen "Six Degrees of Separation" with Donald Sutherland, Stockard Channing, and a young Will Smith. If so, I was curious as to what you thought of it... I just watched it last night and to me, it took a while to get started, but then it became a bit more interesting. However, after the movie, I was left to think about the whole story, and I just don't know really what to make of it and wanted to know what you thought about it, if you've even seen it. Among other things, most of the acting by the "children" in the movie seemed so forced, I wasn't sure if that was meant to be that way or not...
She clarified later: About the "children", I put the word in parentheses because even though they were young adults in college, they over-acted like they were spoiled 10 year olds. It was kinda weird...

Also, I had hoped to have a guess at one of your movie quotes, but no such luck... Not even a poor guess! Well, I did know the "Shawshank Redemption" one, but it was already figured out...

Well, Rebecca, I DID see this 1993 film, probably at the Spectrum Theatre in Albany (as opposed to on video, which, I believe, makes a difference in the viewing experience). I recall that I liked it, I was absorbed by the story. And while I remember the adults and young Will, I have no particular recollection of the acting abilities of the younger characters - which included Heather Graham and Anthony Michael Hall. I do recall at the time that I thought the whole thing was a bit stagy, and just a bit preachy.

That's what happens when you see a lot of movies, I was reminded, when I was looking at Buffalo blogger Jaquandor's list of his top 100 movies. There at #64 was Eating Raoul (1982) which I most certainly saw at the Spectrum's predecessor, The 3rd Street Cinema in Troy. I probably even know who I saw it with. But the details of the movie, beyond the broad premise of whacking people with frying pans, has gone hazy. I recall laughing a LOT at the time, in part because I had a friend named Raoul, but also because I thought it was a real hoot, the juxtaposition of this uptight couple with their entrepreneurial ways. Seems that I should probably watch it again.

And it doesn't have to be older films that can slip away. In preparing to watch the Oscars, I was trying to recall all the films of Tilda Swinton I had seen. There was that bizarro-worlds trip Orlando (1992) and Adaptation (2002) and Broken Flowers (2005). But what was that movie, you know, it had a lot of water in it? Oh, yeah, 2001's The Deep End. I remember being engaged in the movie, but until I read the plot synopsis, the story line had all but abandoned me.

So here's the question for you all: what movies have you seen in the past that you liked well enough at the time, but that are slipping from your particular memories?

Oh, if you look at last Saturday's post, you'll find the answers to the movie quotes quiz.

Thanks, Rebecca, for the posting idea.

ROG

No comments: