I find myself sucked into these things. Back in 1987, rolling stone magazine put out a list of the best LPs of the prior 20 years and I had 56 of 100.
*1. Purple Rain - Prince and the Revolution (1984): Tosy wrote: "I have a hunch this is going to be one of those albums where I know most of the songs without realizing it." Yes, Tosy, I'm sure it is.
*2. The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill - Lauryn Hill (1998): I like, not love it.
*3. Achtung Baby - U2 (1991): only my 2nd favorite U2 album.
4. The College Dropout - Kanye West (2004): Not a big rap fan.
5. Madonna - Madonna (1983): Only have her greatest hits
*6. American Idiot - Green Day (2004): the problem with individual downloads is that one loses the sense of the album. This is an ALBUM, which I got from ADD.
7. The Blueprint- Jay-Z: (2001)
*8. Graceland - Paul Simon (1986): one of those albums I own both in vinyl and CD. Not always happy memories of two relationships, but that's not the album's fault.
*9. Back to Black - Amy Winehouse (2007): Someone gave it to me, listened a couple times, not bad. But her personal drama, I think, overwhelms an objective listen.
10. In Rainbows - Radiohead (2007)
*11. MTV Unplugged in New York - Nirvana (1994): the Nirvana I used to play at work, before Cubicleland.
12. Stankonia - OutKast (2000): I actually have had this on my Amazon want list for a while. (Note to self: update Amazon want list with new releases by Elvis Costello, Emmylou Harris, and others.) I have "Hey Ya" on a mixed CD from Fred Hembeck.
13. You Are Free - Cat Power (2003)
14. Disintegration - The Cure (1989). I have one Cure album, not this one.
15. The Marshall Mathers LP - Eminem (2000)
16. Rain Dogs - Tom Waits (1985)
17. Odelay - Beck (1996). I have a mixed Beck album, which I like.
18. People's Instinctive Travels and the Paths of Rhythm - A Tribe Called Quest (1990)
19. Dangerously in Love - Beyoncé (2003)
*20. Tidal - Fiona Apple (1996): have to be in the mood.
21. The Emancipation of Mimi - Mariah Carey (2005)
22. 3 Feet High and Rising - De La Soul (1989): have some De La soul, not this.
23. The Soft Bulletin - The Flaming Lips (1999)
24. Come On Over - Shania Twain (1997)
25. Turn On the Bright Lights - Interpol (2002)
*26. Time Out of Mind - Bob Dylan (1997). Only my 2nd favorite late Dylan album.
27. Funeral - Arcade Fire (2004)
28. Illmatic - Nas (1994)
29. Breakaway - Kelly Clarkson (2004). Bought her debut album for my wife.
30. Appetite for Destruction - Guns N' Roses (1987). Only have the double CD, which I listen to about 60% of.
*31. FutureSex/LoveSounds - Justin Timberlake (2006): given to me. Wouldn't have bought for myself, but more enjoyable than I would have thought. Still, don't play it much.
*32. Life's Rich Pageant - R.E.M. (1985). Better than I had remembered.
33. As I Am - Alicia Keys (2007)
34. Is This It - The Strokes (2001)
*35. Jagged Little Pill - Alanis Morissette (1995): by this point, I'd stopped listening to much radio and STILL heard three of these songs quite a bit.
*36. CrazySexyCool - TLC (1994)
37. The Moon & Antarctica - Modest Mouse (2000)
38. Raising Hell - Run DMC (1986)
*39. Sheryl Crow - Sheryl Crow (1996): probably haven't listened to for a while.
40. Ready to Die - The Notorious B.I.G. (1994)
*41. Legend - Bob Marley and the Wailers (1984): it's a very fine greatest hits album.
42. Enter the Wu-Tang (36 Chambers)- Wu-Tang Clan (1993)
43. Paul's Boutique - Beastie Boys (1989)
*44. Car Wheels on a Gravel Road - Lucinda Williams (1998) - Top 5 album of the 1990s for me
45. If You're Feeling Sinister - Belle and Sebastian (1996)
46. Homogenic - Björk (1997): no Björk, though I do have a Sugarcubes aklbum
*47. Exile in Guyville - Liz Phair (1993): listened to this in the car ride to Virginia in April. Still like it.
*48. American IV: The Man Comes Around - Johnny Cash (2002). Have all five John R. albums; which one of the first four I favor tends to be changeable.
49. A Rush of Blood to the Head - Coldplay (2002)
*50. Sounds of Silver - LCD Soundsystem (2007): bought this solely on the basis of bloggers I respect. Like it, but haven't played it enough to have imprinted into my soul.
*51. The Score - Fugees (1996). Love and hate in equal measure.
52. Ga Ga Ga Ga Ga - Spoon (2007)
*53. King of America - Elvis Costello (1986). Have on vinyl. Not the first EC I would have thought of.
*54. Janet Jackson's Rhythm Nation 1814 - Janet Jackson (1989): in spite of those perhaps silly attempts to be "relevant", I really like this album.
55. It Takes a Nation of Millions... - Public Enemy (1988)
56. Yankee Hotel Foxtrot - Wilco (2002): still on my Amazon wish list. Have earlier Wilco.
*57. Harvest Moon - Neil Young (1992). at least Top 10 album of the 1990s.
58. Surfer Rosa - The Pixies (1988). I have Pixies on vinyl; will have to pull out.
59. Ray of Light - Madonna (1998)
60. Crooked Rain Crooked Rain - Pavement (1994)
61. Paid in Full - Eric B. & Rakim (1987)
*62. OK Computer - Radiohead (1997): don't love it.
*63. The Joshua Tree - U2 (1987). I put this on my desert album list in 1988 and it remains.
64. Mama's Gun - Erykah Badu (2000): have her first album.
65. Elephant - The White Stripes (2003): have White Blood Cells.
66. The Chronic - Dr. Dre (1992)
67. Metallica - Metallica (1991)
*68. Wrecking Ball - Emmylou Harris (1995): I have this friend who loved Emmylou, but hated this Daniel Lanois-produced album. I have a lot of Emmylou on vinyl, but this, my first Emmylou on CD, I quite enjoyed.
69. Give Up - The Postal Service (2003)
70. My Life - Mary J. Blige (1994)
71. Rock Steady - No Doubt (2001): have an earlier album.
72. 1984 - Van Halen (1984): have some VH, not this.
73. The Queen is Dead - Smiths (1986). No Smiths but I do have a Morissey.
*74. Play - Moby (1999). Could have seen him live in 1998 for free, but I had never heard of him. My loss.
*75. Born in the U.S.A. - Bruce Springsteen (1984): my late brother-in-law bought me about six Springsteen CDs for Christmas in 2000, so I have this in two forms.
76. Heartbreaker - Ryan Adams (2000)
77. Dummy - Portishead (1994)
*78. Vs. - Pearl Jam (1991): have four Pearl Jam albums, but this is my favorite.
79. Let It Be - The Replacements (1984). Like the Don't Tell a Soul album; should get this.
80. Back to Basics - Christina Aguilera (2006)
81. The Downward Spiral - Nine Inch Nails (1994)
82. Grace - Jeff Buckley (1994)
*83. Learning to Crawl - The Pretenders (1984): at some level, I suppose I like this album because the band managed to survive the loss of two of its members.
84. Low-Life - New Order (1985): have some earlier remix.
*85. Home - Dixie Chicks (2002): about a week after the political controversy, I was so annoyed with the backlash that I went out to the Rite Aid at lunch and bought this CD. I probably would have eventually - I had the first two Natalie Maines-led discs - but I was prompted to buy it right away. That I liked it was a bonus.
86. Loveless - My Bloody Valentine (1991)
87. All Eyez on Me - 2Pac (1996)
*88. So - Peter Gabriel (1986): one of those annoying things record companies did to promote the new CD technology was to put an extra song on the CD. Since I didn't have a CD player, I bought the vinyl, but was annoyed. Years later, bought the CD. Ditto on this with #94.
89. Bachelor No. 2 - Aimee Mann (2000)
90. Toxicity - System of a Down (2001). Have their debut album.
91. Siamese Dream - Smashing Pumpkins (1993)
92. The Writing's on the Wall - Destiny’s Child (1999). Have the follow-up, Survivor.
93. Either/Or - Elliott Smith (1997)
*94. Synchronicity - The Police (1983): Tosy wrote: "Easily their best, even with 'Mother'." Sounds right.
95. Trap Muzik T.I. (2003)
96. Stories from the City, Stories from the Sea - PJ Harvey (2000)
97. Britney - Britney Spears (2001)
98. Transatlanticism - Death Cab for Cutie (2003)
99. Live Through This - Hole (1994)
100. Faith - George Michael (1987)
33 out of 100 this time, if I counted correctly.
Movie review: Darkest Hour (2017)
1 day ago