Tackling Entertainment Weekly's "new classics. And I'll agree with many: no Shawshank Redemption?
Won't comment on films I noted on the AFI list (unless I feel like it).
*I saw it.
*1. Pulp Fiction (1994)
2. The Lord of the Rings trilogy (2001-03) -saw the first third
*3. Titanic (1997)
4. Blue Velvet (1986)
*5. Toy Story (1995)
6. Saving Private Ryan (1998)
*7. Hannah and Her Sisters (1986) - on my top three list of Woody Allen films
8. The Silence of the Lambs (1991) - I was at my parents' house. They had HBO. Started watching; bailed.
*9. Die Hard (1988) - good if you like that sort of thing.
*10. Moulin Rouge (2001) - I think I like the effort of the film more than the movie itself. I do have the soundtrack, though.
*11. This Is Spinal Tap (1984) - saw several times in the 1980s, but not at all in years. Seems I recorded off TV; definitely need to see again lest I set the dial to 11.
*12. The Matrix (1999) - saw on commercial TV in the last couple years, which probably didn't do it justice.
13. GoodFellas (1990) - saw parts of it.
14. Crumb (1995) - had planned to see at the time, but never did.
*15. Edward Scissorhands (1990) - liked it well enough, but seems too high on this list.
*16. Boogie Nights (1997) - I really liked the first part of it, appreciated the middle section, but that part at the end felt so contrived.
*17. Jerry Maguire (1996)
*18. Do the Right Thing (1989) - great, and dare I say, important film.
19. Casino Royale (2006)
*20. The Lion King (1994)
*21. Schindler's List (1993) - probably should be in the Top 10.
22. Rushmore (1998) - keep meaning to see.
23. Memento (2001) - ditto.
*24. A Room With a View (1986) - I've seen a lot of Merchant/Ivory films, and this is clearly the best.
*25. Shrek (2001)
*26. Hoop Dreams (1994) - Roger Ebert is right. Devastating, yet oddly hopeful.
27. Aliens (1986)
28. Wings of Desire (1988)
29. The Bourne Supremacy (2004) - never seen a Bourne film in its entirety.
*30. When Harry Met Sally... (1989)
*31. Brokeback Mountain (2005) - I said it before - that stuff on the mountain was boring. Much more interesting after that point. I'm talking about the ranching stuff.
32. Fight Club (1999)
*33. The Breakfast Club (1985) - I saw a bunch of Hughes films in a short period, and they all blend together in my mind.
*34. Fargo (1996) - on the strength of McDormand and Macy's performances, a winner.
*35. The Incredibles (2004) - this was on NBC in the past year, and it was unwatchable to me. The commercials ruined any rhythm I got from seeing it in the theater. Still, my father-in-law stayed with it and appreciated its charms; I was too impatient. Such great social satire!
*36. Spider-Man 2 (2004) - a great superhero movie.
*37. Pretty Woman (1990) - stood in a long line at the Madison Theater in Albany to see it. I liked it just fine. Not great "cinema".
*38. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind (2004) - said before, but bears repeating. Watched this on video, but was too tired to finish. Got up in the morning, finished watching it. A terrible way to see a film. Yet I LOVED it. As someone said, "A very, very sweet movie masquerading as something else."
*39. The Sixth Sense (1999) - Soylent Green is...no wait, wrong film. No, I didn't know the big reveal, and I'd like to see again, now that I do now.
*40. Speed (1994) - the first movie Carol and I saw together. Trashy fun.
41. Dazed and Confused (1993)- must see.
*42. Clueless (1995) - pleasant enough.
43. Gladiator (2000)
*44. The Player (1992) - loved it at the time, but now, except for the ending, fading from memory.
*45. Rain Man (1988) - Tom Cruise is amazingly good in this movie in a thankless role against the Hoffman performance. Own the soundtrack; like the soundtrack a lot.
46. Children of Men (2006)
*47. Men in Black (1997) - saw it, didn't hate it, but wouldn't bother watching again.
48. Scarface (1983)
*49. Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon (2000) - this Ang Lee film was amazing.
*50. The Piano (1993) - was quite impressed at the time, yet this movie is also fading from memory.
51. There Will Be Blood (2007) - people are appalled that I actually watched the last 10 minutes of this; someone on my blogroll posted it from YouTube. It'll be years before i see it, and it'll have faded.
*52. The Naked Gun: From the Files of Police Squad (1988) - VERY funny.
*53. The Truman Show (1998) - I adore this film.
54. Fatal Attraction (1987)
*55. Risky Business (1983) - it's fine, but it didn't move me as much as it did my wife and many others.
56. The Lives of Others (2006) -wanted to see this.
57. There’s Something About Mary (1998)
*58. Ghostbusters (1984) - quite excellent. Based in a library, which is always a plus. And fun video for the title song, put together so quickly that Ray Parker, Jr. didn't know it was out until a friend told him how great it was.
*59. L.A. Confidential (1997) - saw Washington's Birthday weekend 1998 along with The Queen at Crossgates Mall, one of the last times I was there. It really worked for me.
60. Scream (1996)
*61. Beverly Hills Cop (1984) - fine, but probably not worthy of inclusion on the list.
*62. sex, lies and videotape (1989) - along with Do the Eight Thing, my favorite film of that year.
*63. Big (1988)
64. No Country For Old Men (2007)
*65. Dirty Dancing (1987) - it was OK, but not worthy of inclusion on this list.
66. Natural Born Killers (1994)
67. Donnie Brasco (1997)
*68. Witness (1985) - probably my favorite Harrison Ford performance.
*69. All About My Mother (1999) - liked it.
*70. Broadcast News (1987) - worth it just for Albert Brooks.
*71. Unforgiven (1992)
*72. Thelma & Louise (1991)
73. Office Space (1999) - I NEED to see this film\; my co-workers reference it too often.
74. Drugstore Cowboy (1989)
*75. Out of Africa (1985) - bored me silly.
76. The Departed (2006)
77. Sid and Nancy (1986)
*78. Terminator 2: Judgment Day (1991)
*79. Waiting for Guffman (1996) - like this movie a lot, love the ensemble in just about everything they've done.
80. Michael Clayton (2007)
*81. Moonstruck (1987) - THAT'S amore.
*82. Lost in Translation (2003) - never warmed to this film.
83. Evil Dead 2: Dead by Dawn (1987)
*84. Sideways (2004) - great performances.
*85. The 40 Year-Old Virgin (2005) - my wife was really hesitant to see this, as she thought it'd be stupid. So it ended up being astonishingly good, and should be ranked much higher.
*86. Y Tu Mamá También (2002) - it was pretty good, but didn't love it.
87. Swingers (1996)
88. Austin Powers: International Man of Mystery (1997)
89. Breaking the Waves (1996)
90. Napoleon Dynamite (2004)
*91. Back to the Future (1985)
92. Menace II Society (1993)
93. Ed Wood (1994)
94. Full Metal Jacket (1987)
95. In the Mood for Love (2001)
96. Far From Heaven (2002) - I had forgotten about this movie which was quite fine when I saw it in the theater.
*97. Glory (1989) - there's a scene with Denzel that pains me just thinking about it. Have on video, have the soundtrack.
*98. The Talented Mr. Ripley (1999) - clever enough, but I don't think it has legs.
99. The Blair Witch Project (1999)
100. South Park: Bigger Longer & Uncut (1999)
***
Roger Ebert writes The Balcony Is_Closed. Made me sad. Hope he comes back in a different format, if his health allows.
ROG
MY PRIMARY BLOG
My Twitter
My Blog List
-
It takes a lot of practice - A friend asked: “If you had the chance to ask three different people (living or dead, famous or not) ONE question… who and what would you ask?” The one req...5 years ago
-
Teach the Young: A Frank-ly Kind Act - This story was brought to my attention by our esteemed alumnus, Roger Green. This is the story of youngsters thwarted in their initial forays into small bu...6 years ago
-
Faded road markings cause concern - Q: Can someone at New York state tell me why the DOT doesn’t use a better reflective paint when the lines are painted? It appears the paint used has no ref...7 years ago
-
FTC-IRS Initiative Aims to Make it Easier for Consumers to Report Tax-Related Identity Theft - The Federal Trade Commission and the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) are teaming up to make it easier for consumers to report tax-related identity theft an...8 years ago
-
Double and last - Hi all members of our ABC-Wednesday-family. This will be the last birthdaypost on this url... because in 2 days ABC Wednesday will move to http://abcwed...9 years ago
-
Your Signed Books and Artwork Just Got Harder to Sell in California - From Eureka Booksellers On September 9, 2016, California Governor Jerry Brown signed AB1570 Collectibles: Sale of Autographed Memorabilia into law. The ...10 years ago
-
Alan Moore's Twilight Proposal - Introduction by Alan David Doane: Honestly I didn't intend the irony, but this week's FMF, looking at Alan Moore's never-published Twilight proposal, also ...14 years ago
-
-
People I Know
-
Developing the World’s Most Sustainable Energy Systems: How SUNY Innovation Captured Nine DOE Genesis Mission Grants - Written by: Matthew J. Sheiffer The U.S. Department of Energy’s GENESIS Program is a major research initiative designed to accelerate breakthrough energy...3 weeks ago
-
MAGAt Fear - While it’s true that some MAGAmericans are simply stupid, I have a different perspective regarding the most of them: *They're scared.* Humans are not ...1 year ago
-
Tottenham vs Eintracht Frankfurt 11/04/2025: Cuộc chiến căng thẳng tại London - Trận đấu giữa Tottenham vs Eintracht Frankfurt 11/04/2025 hứa hẹn sẽ là một cuộc đối đầu đầy kịch tính và hấp dẫn. Với sự cạnh tranh khốc liệt ở cả hai giả...1 year ago
-
In memoriam: Jan Galligan - I am posting a link to Jan Galligan's online obituary for any and all who may have known him or read the items published here that he contributed to. RIP...1 year ago
-
Concert Review: Bassekou Kouyate and Ngoni Ba at UPH 2/16/24 - When Bassekou Kouyate asked “Are you happy?” at Universal Preservation Hall Friday, he knew the answer. Everybody was, both in the audience and onstage. ...2 years ago
-
Freezing Cold March For Dr. King - Plus the politicized Census, police hiring shortfalls, ornamental apple trees and the mayor’s image cloaking device6 years ago
-
Eagle Scout Project - Rutherford neighbor Krish Soni is getting started on his Eagle Scout project on Saturday, October 26. He will be labeling storm drains in the neighborhood ...6 years ago
-
February Thaw - My friend Phil and I have a tradition of meeting outside his building and going for a walk around his block once a month. Last Wednesday was a great day fo...8 years ago
-
Kellyanne Conway named UAlbany graduation commencement speaker - Kellyanne Conway, the pollster who organized the election campaign of President Donald Trump, has been named by the University at Albany to be its keynote ...9 years ago
-
Do You Write About Comics? - Trouble With Comics is looking for new voices. Please help us find them.11 years ago
-
We’re Off On An Adventure! - Just now, Marge and I are doing a bit of adventuring. The next adventure will include a whole new online reality and presence for me and my work… See you i...11 years ago
-
It Changes - Living with Lupus and Fibro and Asthma is often not so much 'one day at a time.' It is much more like one fifteen minute segment of time - at at time. This...13 years ago
-
Goodbye, goodbye, goodbye… - Well, kids, this is it. I’m leaving first thing tomorrow morning. My visits home will be few and far between, and when they happen, they’ll be exclusive...13 years ago
-
-
Spring is here? - As far as the pro peloton goes, it’s on! I watched the Tour of Flanders today, and it was one of the best races I’ve ever seen. “Looking back, you get a b...15 years ago
-
Modern Types-Ronald Searle,Geoffrey Gorer - With the recent attention given to Ronald Searle's 90th birthday and new interview,I decided to look at one of his books. The book is titled Modern Ty...16 years ago
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
Eclectic Folks
-
The Journey Part Nine: Reflections - It’s been some time since my last Journey entry. Reflections have taken a while as I identify emotions and gather insights from everything that happened. F...1 day ago
-
September ends well - Today’s the last day of September 2026, and it was a good one—and this is a much more positive month’s end than *the end of July was.* This is because I ac...2 days ago
-
When Engineers Built Jumper Cables and Bombs: The High-Stakes Utility of Classic PvP Crafting - This guide delves into the intricate world of classic PvP crafting, focusing on the engineering behind jumper cables and bombs. Understanding the mechani...5 days ago
-
What Changes for Physicians Under Rocket Doctor’s New Network Agreement - The practical effect of Rocket Doctor’s August 18 provider network deal falls first on the physicians using the platform, not […]1 week ago
-
oblong (and a bit about ovals) - Ben Zimmer forwarded me this post from Threads, in which the writer Ruth Ware finds a transatlantic difference between AmE and BrE interpretations of *ob...4 weeks ago
-
-
AmeriNZ 426 – Success story - Today is a coincidence of twenty-sixes—though that’s not important, of course. In the time since the previous episode, I completed the first part of my dec...3 months ago
-
NYC, July 3, 1981 - Brunch in my friend’s back gardenWe sipped mimosasLingered over lemon sconesStuffing our faces, coffee strongstiffsteamingThe scent of patchouli streamingA...3 months ago
-
Auntie Dot & Uncle Moss - Auntie Dot and Uncle Moss. Auntie Dot and Uncle Moss met through work. They both worked on the buses. Uncle Moss was a driver and Auntie Dot was a condu...8 months ago
-
100 Words – Liturgy as Cosmology - Once when I finished Morning Prayer, with it’s rhythm of prayers, Scripture, and song, the Spirit whispered to my heart, “You just participated in the hear...9 months ago
-
23 Down. - 23 years ago, on October 24, I started this here blog. I don't post to it regularly anymore, but I hate to see it go completely dead, so happy blogavers...11 months ago
-
This is The End (a follow-up) - I wrote yesterday about my possibly retiring this space in favor of migrating all of my blogging to ForgottenStars.net, because of Reasons. I am now pul...4 years ago
-
The long, LONG saga of Mia's new chair - I've been wanting to write about Mia's new chair for a while, because it's something that we hope will help her out a lot. However, I didn't want to write ...7 years ago
-
Tough Day - A few weeks ago, I turned 38, and I am still under the scrutiny of strangers in public. One would think that once you're out of grade school, middle school...8 years ago
-
-
Retro Y'all - Been doing a lot of jumping lately, but feel I don't have much to show for it. Oh well. At least I'm still getting my clothes on the right way. Seriously...8 years ago
-
Spring is in the air. - After a few wonderful, sunny days we are back to a somewhat grey and rainy day. Yesterday all doors back and front, were open all day long. The central he...8 years ago
-
U is for UNDER and UP - I had no idea what to post for this week's celebration of the letter *U*. It took a lot of looking through all my photos to come *UP* with an idea. So ...8 years ago
-
Song of the Week: "Whispering Your Name" - I just got this into my head a while back. This is Alison Moyet, from her 1994 album *Essex*, one of my favorite albums which I discovered because of Becca...9 years ago
-
No parallel - Get a good look at these: Whence they came: After seeing that incredible glow-in-the-dark Zac Posen dress that Claire Danes wore at the 2016 Met Gala, Lori...9 years ago
-
ABC Wednesday: The Importance of Being Bored - When I was growing up, you being bored was your problem that you were responsible to rectify. As children we learned never to be bored- or at least not t...9 years ago
-
Parenting Tips - Posting for the first time in a while to share some parenting advice. So last year, one of my twin daughters mocked a handicapped kid at school, grabbed a ...9 years ago
-
Save Up to Half! - This has got to be my new favorite classic comic book ad. Accordions? Was there a really enough demand for accordions to place a half-page ad in, of all th...9 years ago
-
Happy Purim!!!! - My rendition of The Purim Somg by Alison Faith Levy. Here is Alison! Visit her website alisonfaithlevy.com10 years ago
-
Berowne's 294 - (Also for Three Word Wednesday and ABC Wednesday: "S" is for "shrewish") No quiz this week. Instead I got to thinking about the enigmatic play we dealt w...10 years ago
-
A phony and a failure - After watching part of the clown show the other night it's a safe bet none of these guys or girl is capable of running anything. It looked more like a...11 years ago
-
Age is a State of Mind, Somewhere Near Nebraska - What a year it has been! After surviving the odometer rolling over to 40, I had a year of sabbatical. That gave me plenty of time to think about my mid-lif...11 years ago
-
The End of a Long Day - You know those days where all you really want to do is change into your pajamas and curl up on the couch while you decide which comfort food would mak...12 years ago
-
Choosing Blogs To Comment On For Effective Backlinks And Networking - Choosing a blog to comment on should never be taken lightly. These tips will help you make the most of your time and effectiveness of your backlinks. Th...12 years ago
-
#Freaking Out -AND! - Calmly completely freaking out about my move. AND! I quit smoking. I feel this qualifies me to have an opinion on how to do it. So I am calmly completel...13 years ago
-
Gaze Upon My Works and Snicker, Part 53. - [image: DP700-F365028] Another quickie sketch at work, because I wanted to draw Pandora A in a white fuzzy hat (no, I don't know the name for them) and a b...13 years ago
-
Year in Review: My favorite music of 2011 - It's that time of year, so here my picks for my favorite music of 2011, in alphabetical order: Beirut, “The Rip Tide” Sometimes sad is good, and Beirut do...14 years ago
-
-
-
-
-
-
Comic Book Links
-
-
Who's Next?13 hours ago
-
Bloggin'1 year ago
-
-
-
Free Comic Book Day 20188 years ago
-
This Blog9 years ago
-
Stardoll 1: Secrets & Dreams13 years ago
-
I'm Just a Broadway Baby13 years ago
-
-
Media Blogs
-
Indian pilot tells PM Modi he opened flydubai cockpit door during attack - Reuters - 1. Indian pilot tells PM Modi he opened flydubai cockpit door during attack Reuters 2. ‘I couldn’t let everybody else die,’ says hero Flyduba...2 hours ago
-
Japan court rules actors have right to their own voices - [image: Kenjuro Tsuda] Kenjiro Tsuda, an actor famed in Japan for his lustrous baritone, sued TikTok over an account that used an AI-generated replica of h...2 hours ago
-
Best Federal Whistleblower Attorneys in D.C.: Five Firms to Know, Starting With Mundaca Law - Reporting misconduct inside a federal agency can put a career at risk, and the legal protections available are narrower and more deadline-driven than mos...2 days ago
-
Momouflage - “Back in the 70s when my mom could take a nap undisturbed because no one could find her.” The post Momouflage appeared first on AwkwardFamilyPhotos.com.6 days ago
-
Beste Online Casinos ohne LUGAS: Einsteigerleitfaden für sichere und spannende Spiele - Der Online-Casino-Markt boomt, und viele Spieler suchen nach Plattformen, die ein hohes Maß an Sicherheit und Datenschutz bieten. In diesem Leitfaden stell...2 months ago
-
FOUND WORD OTD: ACEHOOT - OOTHECA: an egg case of certain insects [n] Seen on a local farmer’s Instagram page, apparently this is the egg sac of a mantis? Wild. As for hooks, pl...11 months ago
-
Episode 326: The WGA Strike - One by one, Ken goes over the many issues the WGA is fighting for and why they’re important. He also gives an overview of the situation and how it might...3 years ago
-
The dopamine jail of joke Twitter - I’m home from vacation and the Planet Funny promotional engine is slowing down. (There’s still one last signing at Powell’s City of Books in two short week...8 years ago
-
Rex Smith: The spy who came in with a Trump tale - The phrase was chilling. Omitting the contemporary names, it evoked Cold War plots peopled with brusque patriots icily staring death in the face: “Ex-Spy G...9 years ago
-
2016 Emmy Awards – By The Rules - [image: emmys]Or as it should probably be known: the night that a broadcast network gives up three hours at the start of the season to honour cable and str...10 years ago
-
Mom Has Stacked Dinner Party Roster - GOLDEN, CO—Their eyes widening in amazement as the 43-year-old rattled off the names of heavy hitter after heavy hitter, impressed members of the Dreesh...10 years ago
-
Play reveals how Paul got Fixing a Hole from Mal Evans - The play "Beatle Mal," based on Beatles roadie Mal Evans, was performed for one night only in Liverpool, Sept 28th. In the play, it is revealed how Paul go...13 years ago
-
Week 17 NFL Picks - Last week’s 10 wins leaves me with 153 wins. Weak season. Sorry. Week 17 picks NFL Picks Away Home Chicago Detroit NY Jets Buffalo Tampa Bay Atlanta Caroli...13 years ago
-
Coverville Countdown 2012: Nominations Begin NOW! - It’s that time of year again! Time for you to nominate and vote for your favorite covers, and for me to spend the last few shows of the year to line them...13 years ago
-
Obama’s speech coverage on NPR - What were the people at NPR thinking? The coverage of President Obama’s speech on National Public Radio on Wednesday was just awful. I’ve never minded anal...15 years ago
-
-
-
Politics, Policy Blogs
-
As Iran War Drags On, Trump Plans to Send Third Aircraft Carrier and Thousands More Troops to Middle East - The Pentagon is preparing to dramatically expand the American military presence in the Middle East as President Donald Trump weighs renewed attacks on Ir...13 hours ago
-
New Film: “An Ordinary Insanity,” The Daniel Ellsberg Movie on the Nuclear Threat - Filmmaker Judith Ehrlich has done it again! Her 2009 film about Daniel Ellsberg, The Most Dangerous Man in America, was nominated for an Oscar. Now she is ...2 months ago
-
Mass job cuts on the horizon as Trump's economy backslides - On Tuesday, Amazon announced it is cutting 14,000 corporate jobs, becoming the latest major corporation to slash its workforce in the rapidly declining e...11 months ago
-
SLOT GACOR LGOLIVE YGGDRASIL GOLDEN FISHTANK 2 GIGABLOX - Pengen ngerasain sensasi main di akuarium penuh ikan warna-warni? Golden Fishtank 2 Gigablox dari Yggdrasil di LGOLIVE adalah slot gacor hari ini yang ba...1 year ago
-
2PP132 – 16 May 2020 - This episode was delayed, yet again, because Arthur didn’t have enough time. Anyway, here we are—were? Today’s chat was about the changes to New Zealand’s ...6 years ago
-
How to take care of your hair this winter - During cold weather, doing less to your hair will benefit it more.8 years ago
-
My New Venture: Top Flight Family - You may have noticed that you haven’t heard much from me lately. That’s because I’ve been quietly working on new passion of mine, a digital media startup o...10 years ago
-
First blog post - This is your very first post. Click the Edit link to modify or delete it, or start a new post. If you like, use this post to tell readers why you started t...10 years ago
-
‘I’m a verb’: An MTA worker responds to criticism of Leslie Jones’ Ghostbusters role - By Arturo R. García The most hopeful — and poignant — commentary surrounding Leslie Jones’… The post ‘I’m a verb’: An MTA worker responds to criticism of...10 years ago
-
10.15.15 MUSLIMS & TPP - This article originally appeared in the 10.15.15 issue of Metroland Buried under all the hoo-hah about the debates and Lamar Odom was a significant cour...10 years ago
-
The Long-term Consequences of WLS - Rich & Heather's Story - My name is Rich, but I may be better known to some of you as richie79 of the UK who used to post prolifically here on Big Fat Blog and elsewhere in the F...13 years ago
-
-
-
This Is Not A Joke - A new ball game - with tasers. Hat-tip : The Volokh Conspiracy According to The Daily Caller, Eric Prum, one of the founders of Ultimate Tak Ball, said, “I...14 years ago
-
THIS BLOG NOW MOVED. Follow the link below. Thank you! - THIS LINK TAKES YOU TO THE NEW SITE, SAME BLOG Please join me and subscribe over there. Thank you for following my work and writing.14 years ago
-
-
-
-
Websites to Which I Contribute
Page Rank
|
Check Page Rank of your Web site pages instantly: |
|
This page rank checking tool is powered by Page Rank Checker service |
Monday, July 28, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




1 comment:
I believe Ebert has said he is working on something. It would be a shame for him to not be seen elsewhere.
Post a Comment