One of those Sunday Stealing memes that would have been far more onerous had I compared now with 20 years ago, rather than 10
Then: August 1999
1. Age: 46
2. Romantic Status: newly married 3 months
3. Occupation: librarian, working downtown
4. Fun night out: usually go out to eat
5. My BFFs: Karen, Mark, Norman
6. I spent way too much time: watching sports on TV
7. I spent not enough time: reading books
8. I wanted to be when I grew up: a minister or a lawyer
9. Biggest concern: money
10. What my biggest concern should have been: time
11. Where did I live: in the house that Carol purchased in 1992
12. Dumbest thing I did that year: pretend that I was really cool with Carol going off to Scotland with her friend Jeanne a couple months after we were married. I missed her terribly AND I was still getting used to the house. She still might have gone, but my nonchalance gave her false info.
13. If I could go back now and talk to myself I would say: you'll do OK.
Now: August 2009
1. Age: 56
2. Romantic Status: married
3. Occupation: librarian, working in soulless Corporate Woods
4. Fun night out: say what?
5. My BFFs: Karen, Mark, Norman
6. I spend way too much time: on the computer
7. I spend not enough time: reading books
8. I want to be when I grow up: I don't want to grow up
9. Biggest concern: time for myself
10. What my biggest concern should be: how easily I sunburn now and taking more precautions re: that.
11. Where do I live: in a house Carol and I bought in 2000
12. Dumbest thing I have done this year: knocking down a small beehive in Lydia's playhouse. Even though she was about 20 feet away, she ended up getting stung in the back of the neck by the bee/wasp/hornet. Then I got to listen to her ask, repeatedly, why it attacked her rather than me; the answer, of course, is that it would hurt me more if it stung her.
13. What I think I would say to myself in 10 years: you made it, more or less.
1. What do I miss most from 1999: time
2. What do I miss least from 1999: uncertainty
3. What have I accomplished in 10 years that I am most proud of: staying married
4. What have I NOT accomplished in 10 years that I wish I had: that damn world peace; SO elusive.
One of the truly awful world events in my lifetime was the plane bombing over Lockerbie, Scotland. Over a dozen of the victims had ties with the Albany, NY area where I live. But as Demeur lays out, the one convicted participant might very well have got out on appeal. The release of Megrahi by Scotland may have been more pragmatic than compassionate.
From Steve Bissette:
If you are or ever have been a fan of the work of writer Steve Perry of Time Spirits, Thundercats and Silverhawks – not to be confused with either the prolific and popular sf writer or the rock star — and you can afford to help a man on his last legs, please, do so.
Despite the best efforts of myself and others, Steve is in dire straits at this very moment, suffering terminal cancer and lack of any support, and sorely in need of any help that can be sent his way.
Two journalists died this past week. Don Hewitt ran the Kennedy-Nixon debate, dubbed Walter Cronkite and created 60 Minutes. He wussed out over a tobacco story, but no one's perfect.
My mom said if you have nothing good to say about someone, say nothing. Robert Novak: NOTHING.
Go here August 28 at 9:00AM ET and every Friday through September for a chance to get a Free Real Chocolate coupon for your favorite Mars product.
Music throwback: Roger Miller
14 hours ago