My Blog List

People I Know

Eclectic Folks

Media Blogs

Politics, Policy Blogs

Page Rank

Check Page Rank of your Web site pages instantly:

This page rank checking tool is powered by Page Rank Checker service

Tuesday, August 18, 2009

"Original" Log Cabin Syrup


When I was a kid, our household used to use Log Cabin syrup on our pancakes and waffles. Since I've been married to Carol, we've leaned more on using actual maple syrup. But it;'s expensive, and a few months ago decided to get some Log Cabin, partly out of nostalgia and partly out of the fact that I remembered liking it.

It wasn't until I had actually opened the bottle when I read the ingredients: corn syrup, high fructose corn syrup...Wait a minute. The bottle says Log Cabin Original Syrup, "a family tradition since 1887." I have a strong sense that this product did NOT have HFCS when I was growing up. This is ORIGINAL? And my fear of HFCS predated this report about possible Mercury Poisoning. (Didn't Graham Parker have a song named that?)

My wife bought a new bottle of Log Cabin last week. "Now! NO HIGH FRUCTOSE CORN SYRUP" is displayed boldly. It just has corn syrup, liquid sugar (water, sugar), water, salt plus a bunch of other stuff that show up in processed foods these days and are in both versions -natural and artificial flavors, cellulose gum, preservatives, sodium hexametaphosphate (say what?), and caramel color.

Silly me. I finally figured out the word "original" is used by Pinnacle Foods to distinguish it from the "Lite" and "Sugar-Free" versions. I'm really glad Log Cabin has dropped HFCS - will they return to HFCS if there's a sugar shortage? - but maybe we'll see if we can find money in the budget for REAL maple syrup again.


ROG

2 comments:

Rebecca Hickman said...

Thank you for pointing this out. I wish I liked the sugar-free stuff.

Rambler Rogue said...

I finally had to quit real maple syrup, cold turkey, to reduce my use of sugar. Before then, the only time I would use anything else was when I got pancakes at McDonald's, because of, well, the nostalgia thing, I guess. Used to get them a lot when the kids were young.

Pray tell, Roger, what is the artificial sweetener used in the sugar free Log Cabin(R) syrup?