My Blog List

People I Know

Eclectic Folks

Media Blogs

Politics, Policy Blogs

Page Rank

Check Page Rank of your Web site pages instantly:

This page rank checking tool is powered by Page Rank Checker service

Tuesday, September 13, 2005

Primary Day 2005

Today is Primary Day in New York state. In NYC, the polls are open from 6 a.m. until 9 p.m., but upstate, the polls are only open from noon until 9 p.m. I HATE that. I like to vote before I go to work so that the campaigns can check the list and see that I've already voted so that they DONT call me to get out to vote.

Of course, the 12-year incumbant mayor, Jerry "Well Tanned" Jennings is a lock for renomination by the Democratic Party (not to be confused with a democratic party). And the Democratic nomination is all one really needs to get elected in the city of Albany. Jennings' opponent is Archie Goodbee, a black man who was all but invisible from the moment he declared until fairly recently, and is outmanaged, outfunded, and generally, out of luck.

An incumbant candidate always brings negatives, and I suspect Goodbee expected the support of the progressive wing of the Democratic party just because Archie is not Jerry. The progressives got black ADA David Soares to beat the incumbant district attorney, Paul Clyne last year, but Soares and his people did the groundwork that Goodbee did not, and the progressives pretty much opted out of that race altogether, or supported the mayor.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

The progressives got black ADA David Soares..."

I thought that Soares identifies himself as Hispanic, not as black.

He DEFINITELY is the DA, not an ADA!

Roger Owen Green said...

ALBANY - In a ceremony that resembled an inauguration, the 35-year-old son of West African immigrants embraced his American Dream Monday when he became Albany County's 43rd district attorney. David Soares took on his new job during an unusual, ecumenical ceremony at Albany's Wilborn Temple. A steady drone of police pipes and drums led the former Albany County assistant district attorney down a center aisle as he and clerics of many denominations moved through the cavernous church packed with well-wishers.

I really don't know how he portrays himself, heritage-wise. I did mean he was an ADA when he beat the DA.

Roger Owen Green said...

And to no one's surprise, Jerry "Re-Elect OUR Mayor" Jennings won with about 2/3s of the vote. (If I had had the cojones, I would have predicted between 65% and 70%.)