My Blog List

People I Know

Eclectic Folks

Media Blogs

Politics, Policy Blogs

Page Rank

Check Page Rank of your Web site pages instantly:

This page rank checking tool is powered by Page Rank Checker service

Monday, December 19, 2005

What Should I Be Doing? Am I a Humanist?

It's the end of year, a time of reflecton. What am I doing what I'm doing with my life?
science
What career should you have?

brought to you by Quizilla


This is silly. I'd never be a scientist. I'm a splash of this, a jigger of that kind of guy, not an x milliliters of this and y cubic centimters of that.

I did have an old girlfriend to whom I would say, "She's tidied up and I can't find anything", because she used to tidy up and I COULDN'T find anything. She diddn't much like it when I said that, but then I didn't much like her hiding my stuff.

(That was NOT a total non sequiter.)

As for the meme below, don't even know where I got this. I went to Gordon's site then a link from that, then a link from that. Definitely a European, rather than an American perspective, which I liked...

Haymaker




You are one of life’s enjoyers, determined to get the most you can out of your brief spell on Earth. Probably what first attracted you to atheism was the prospect of liberation from the Ten Commandments, few of which are compatible with a life of pleasure. You play hard and work quite hard, have a strong sense of loyalty and a relaxed but consistent approach to your philosophy.

You can’t see the point of abstract principles and probably wouldn’t lay down your life for a concept though you might for a friend. Something of a champagne humanist, you admire George Bernard Shaw for his cheerful agnosticism and pursuit of sensual rewards and your Hollywood hero is Marlon Brando, who was beautiful, irascible and aimed for goodness in his own tortured way.

Sometimes you might be tempted to allow your own pleasures to take precedence over your ethics. But everyone is striving for that elusive balance between the good and the happy life. You’d probably open another bottle and say there’s no contest.


What kind of humanist are you? Click here to find out.

This is mighty interesting, since I'm NOT an atheist, merely "liberal" (whatever that means) theologically. But I DO relate to perhaps 50% of the first paragraph, the part about having a "strong sense of loyalty and a relaxed but consistent approach to your philosophy."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Roger - I got the same results on these quizes as you!