My Blog List

People I Know

Eclectic Folks

Media Blogs

Politics, Policy Blogs

Page Rank

Check Page Rank of your Web site pages instantly:

This page rank checking tool is powered by Page Rank Checker service

Monday, January 08, 2007

Bowie is 60



In honor of the 60th birthday of David Bowie today, I decided to indicate the albums I have, after I list my top 10 Bowie songs.

1) Panic in Detroit (from Aladdin Sane)-"looks a lot like Che Guevera". Great background singing.
2) Under Pressure (with Queen)-with a bass line so good, even Vanilla Ice sounded (relatively) good.
3) Star (from Ziggy Stardust)-I did so much hard dancing to this song in my dorm room, I was grateful to the slowdown at the end.
4) Golden Years (from Station to Station)-I saw Bowie do this on Soul Train. The kids didn't know what to make of the Thin White Duke, but they liked the song.
5) Fame (from Young Americans)-the original, not the inferior Fame '90 remix that I have on the Pretty Woman soundtrack. Co-written by John Lennon. LOVE the scales of "fame, fame, fame, fame..."
6) Young Americans (from YA)- also on Soul Train. "Do you remember your President Nixon", whose birthday, BTW, is tomorrow.
7) TVC15 (from STS)-because I like the beat.
8) Changes (from Hunky Dory)- from the first Bowie album I owned.
9) Fashion (from Scary Monsters)-I was at Fred Hembeck's house this summer, and Fred, his daughter Julie and I were watching Bowie videos. Boy, is the video of this one of its time.
10) DJ (from Lodger)-Reminds of the day when "I am the DJ, I am what I play" applied to many disc jockeys, not just a relatively few.

I must make special mention of David Bowie's duet with Bing Crosby, "Peace on Earth"/"Little Drummer Boy", and the strange story behind it: Bowie's hatred of "Drummer Boy", the quick rewrite, Crosby's death before the special aired in 1977. I watched it (and you can, here or here) when it was originally broadcast and saw the bizarre banter about John Lennon and Harry Nilsson, then this duet, which, improbably, really worked. I STILL want to know: did Bing really know who Bowie was?

1971 Hunky Dory #3 UK, #93 US LP
1972 The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars #5 UK, #75 US LP, CD
1973 Aladdin Sane #1 UK, #17 US LP, burned CD
1973 Pin Ups #1 UK, #23 US LP
1974 Diamond Dogs #1 UK, #5 US LP
1975 Young Americans #2 UK, #9 US LP
1976 Station to Station #5 UK, #3 US LP
1976 ChangesOneBowie #2 UK, #10 US LP
1977 Low #2 UK, #11 US LP
1977 "Heroes" #3 UK, #35 US LP
1981 ChangesTwoBowie #24 UK, #68 US LP
1983 Let's Dance #1 UK, #4 US LP
1984 Tonight #1 UK, #11 US LP
1989 Tin Machine #3 UK cassette
1990 Changesbowie #1 UK, #39 US CD

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey you dirty copycat (go read my own Bowie post!) I'm glad to see I'm not the only one that owns Tin Machine. I very nearly put TVC15 and Under Pressure on my own list - I could have easily done a "top 60" list i think!

Anonymous said...

Hi Roger! My favorite Bowie song is "Sound and Vision" (it's the artist in me). Today I locked the unlocked lock on your locker next to mine at the Y. Hope you didn't lose anything.

Best to Carol and the Lydster!!!