My Blog List

People I Know

Eclectic Folks

Media Blogs

Politics, Policy Blogs

Page Rank

Check Page Rank of your Web site pages instantly:

This page rank checking tool is powered by Page Rank Checker service

Saturday, February 09, 2008

Who'll Be the Veep QUESTION

My friend Deborah in France turned me on to this website where one can subtitle one's own Bollywood movie, and then send it on to friends. Her fine example can be found here, while my attempt is located here:

My piece, which I did on Wednesday or Thursday, after Super Tuesday, but before Mitt Romney suspended his campaign, is based on the fact that, barring a meteor crash, we in the United States will be electing as president the first person to move directly from the U.S. Senate to the White House since JFK.

So, who then, will be the Vice-Presidential candidate for:
Clinton?
Obama?
McCain?
Two parts: who SHOULD they pick? Who WILL they pick?
My thoughts:
They all need to pick a governor, or former governor. Doesn't mean it'll happen.
Clinton: It’ll have to be a man; I don't think that's a sexist observation, but a political one. The geography: someone from the South or the West. Too bad the governor of Montana doesn't have more electoral votes to offer. I suppose it could be Senator Obama.
Obama: It should be someone with foreign policy experience.
In each case, former candidate, and current governor of New Mexico, Bill Richardson keeps popping up on my list. The governor of Kansas who is a woman, and who gave the response to the State of the Union, is an Obama supporter, but two Midwesterners doesn't seem to balance the ticket. In any case, I seriously doubt it'll be Obama-Clinton.
McCain: I have a dollar and two case quarters that it won’t be Mike Huckabee. If the Democrats don't put a woman on the ticket, maybe the Republicans will. And if McCain gives up trying to appease the "true conservatives" (whatever that means) who seem to hate his guts, maybe he could pick a moderate such as Sen. Olympia Snowe of Maine.

Here's a PDF of all the current governors. I'd be surprised if one of them is not on the national ticket, probably one whose term DOESN'T end in 2009.


ROG

1 comment:

Anthony said...

I saw an analyst on Bill Moyers' show last night (I cannot recall her name), who basically said that the way each has been running their campaign pretty much precludes putting the other on his or her own ticket.

Hillary has been harping on his inexperience and lack of real action to back up the rhetoric of change, and so it would undermine her position to now say he is fit to be her VP. By comparison, Obama has not really referred to the Clinton Administration as a time to look back upon for what America currently needs, and he has been basically aligning Hillary with the norm regarding Washington politics. So, again, this would undermine his platform of genuine change.