My Blog List

People I Know

Eclectic Folks

Media Blogs

Politics, Policy Blogs

Page Rank

Check Page Rank of your Web site pages instantly:

This page rank checking tool is powered by Page Rank Checker service

Thursday, February 05, 2009

Overheard cellphones

All of these events happened in January 2009.

I'm riding the bus when I hear this person behind me, evidently on a cellphone, start a conversation with "Yo, b***"". Now, I'm not one to judge how others treat their friends, but that was, in a public setting, distracting. More disturbing, though, was this person's apparent vendetta against some 3rd party. Apparently, the person on the other line said something conciliatory re: said 3rd party, but my caller said, "When I hate someone, I really HATE 'em!"

Then the 2nd party mentions the 3rd party's mother. 1st party: "Oh, someone should just SHOOT HER!" I discovered that the 1st party, who turned out to be male (but with a higher-pitched voice, which threw me on my identification) was 1) from out of town and 2) going to go to the military recruiting station. I realized that if this person did not notice the building, I wouldn't tell him. Alas, he did find it.

You should understand that, as a librarian and as a Christian, I always try to help someone when I can. I was walking by another person who was standing in the 200 block of Washington Avenue, but told someone on her cellphone (a friend or a cab) that she was on the 200 block of Central Avenue. It was an easy mistake; this particular block is across the street from the FIRST block of Central Avenue. So I interrupted the caller and corrected her; she was very appreciative.

The would-be recruit, though, I would have let ride past his stop until he was miles away. I realized that this person, so filled with hate, and proud of it, I didn't really want in the U.S. military. I was surprised that I could develop such an antipathy for someone whose face I never saw until he deboarded the bus. I wonder how good the psychological testing is for those entering military service?

Oh, and speaking of cellphones: I was crossing the street and this woman, I thought, was calling to me. No, she was on one of those hands-free devices, and when I turned around, she looked at me as though I were crazy. I have long thought that if EVERYONE had one of those instruments, we could all going around talking, with no one would know if we were talking to others or just to ourselves, and no one would know who really WAS crazy.
ROG

2 comments:

Rog T said...

You reminded me of the first person I ever saw with a mobile phone earpiece. She was shouting at the top of her voice, talking with her hands as well in the aisle of a supermarket. I thought she was deranged until I saw the earpiece.

Not every invention is an advance.

Anonymous said...

Man do I hate those earpieces! Both because of the confusion they cause and the way the person looks at you like you're insane for thinking they were shouting at you!

Also, I'd like to say that the psychological fitness requirements for the military are vastly sub par. Even if they're strict about behavior, they still get way too many trigger happy nationalists to join every branch of service. The term Warrior no longer applies; we just have licensed killers defending us.