My Blog List

People I Know

Eclectic Folks

Media Blogs

Politics, Policy Blogs

Page Rank

Check Page Rank of your Web site pages instantly:

This page rank checking tool is powered by Page Rank Checker service

Saturday, February 14, 2009

Valentine's Day QUESTIONS


About a month ago, I stopped at the florist shop and got my wife some flowers, for no reason at all except that she likes flowers, I hadn't gotten her any recently, and I happened to be walking by the shop (Saturday buses take a while in Albany). I the same way I was inspired to celebrate her last month, I'm rather disinclined to do much about "Valentine's Day" this month.

I think it's what Frank Zappa said in a different context, "enforced recreation." And while I'm cooll with Thanksgiving being set aside for thanks, I'm less inclined to want to set aside a day to romance. Maybe it's because there's been enough years where February 14 was merely a reminder of relationships past.

In any case, all my wife wants for Valentine's Day are some Lindt's chocolates and for me to organize my armoire so that all of the doors actually close. She actually finds orderliness to be romantic.

This is not to say that we won't have our monthly date. The child's daycare is open on Washington's Birthday, and we both have the day off, so we're going out to lunch and a movie - together!

1. What, if anything, are you doing for Valentine's Day?

2. What do you consider romantic? What does your partner (or previous partner) think?
***
How You Can Be Romantic Every Day from About.com
***
For the cynical only: Unverified factoids, stolen from who knows where

Valentine's Day is the busiest day of the year for private investigators, it seems that 80% of external ‘affairs’ spend at least a portion of the day with the other person, making this a great day to get caught.
The unofficial ‘record’ for multiple secret “long-term relationships” at the same time is believed to be 6 by a traveling salesman and 3 by a woman. Just thinking about that probably scares most of us and proves that men are the larger idiots! (Although women seem to be catching up!)
Contrary to popular belief, Valentines Day and selecting February as the romantic month was a man’s selection, something about if we must have a romantic month, it should be after the Super Bowl, before March Madness and definitely the shortest month of the year.

So, if you haven’t been wished a Happy Valentines Day, allow me. If you have been, consider yourself lucky, and if you received several cards, gifts or candies, enjoy the month and don’t get caught!


ROG

No comments: