My Blog List

People I Know

Eclectic Folks

Media Blogs

Politics, Policy Blogs

Page Rank

Check Page Rank of your Web site pages instantly:

This page rank checking tool is powered by Page Rank Checker service

Friday, March 05, 2010

Avoiding the Credit Card Late Fees

I've previously kvetched about Bank of America tacking on a $1.50 monthly fee for the privilege of holding their credit card. I've since noticed that my cards with Chase and Wells Fargo likewise are charging me this, and I intend to cancel those as well; they are a little bit trickier in that I have some automatic payments tied to those cards, such as my cable/phone bill.

Let me be honest; 15 years ago, I might not have noticed. But 15 years ago, I had credit card debt approaching five figures. Surely I would have been paying far more interest every 30 days than eight or twelve bits.

Now that I finally have zero credit card debt - none, zilch, nada - these ticky-tack charges really bugs me.

Citi ISN'T charging me this monthly fee yet. It's just, like most of the rest of them, threaten to increase my interest rate by 50% or more and tack on an outrageous fee if I'm late. This is why I have at least my minimum payment taken out automatically from my checking account.

I got my Discover bill this week. I have an automatic payment on this card too, which happens to be the whole amount of $36. It also has the Late Payment warning: "If we do not receive payment by the date listed above, you may have to pay a late fee of up to $39..." Ah, a potential $39 charge on a $36 purchase.

But here's the kicker: the minimum due date is March 25, but my "next automatic payment will be on" March 26! I am so paranoid that I called DISCOVER to see if I have to write a check, something the arrangement should have avoided. I discover from a nice woman named Donna that my auto-payment would NOT be considered late, that it was DISCOVER's processing mechanism. Moreover, she stated - correctly - that if the company were to treat their customers that shabbily, they would soon not have many customers left.

So I shan't worry about it. But I WILL blog about it...just in case.
***
A video only everyone who owns, used to own or will own a credit card should watch.
***
How do you make a contribution to reduce the public debt?


ROG

1 comment:

Gerald (SK14) said...

Yes I got stung by something like that ONCE - I've never let it happen since.