My Blog List

People I Know

Eclectic Folks

Media Blogs

Politics, Policy Blogs

Page Rank

Check Page Rank of your Web site pages instantly:

This page rank checking tool is powered by Page Rank Checker service

Saturday, July 04, 2009

What does patriotism mean? QUESTION

My wife is reading a book called Deep Democracy by Judith Green (no relation) as one of the required readings for her summer courses. My understanding of the book, and I haven't seen it, is that deep democracy isn't just a flag pin on the lapel; it's working for the opportunity to make sure that each individual has the opportunity to pursue the American dream.

So what does patriotism mean to you? For me voting; but also being an informed voter. Perhaps working on a campaign; I owe time to TWO of them this year. Participate in the "marketplace of ideas".

I believe that participating in the Census qualifies.

Civil protest, when injustice exists.

How about you?

And what do you think of this new study of sixteen countries, which "shows that in nearly every democracy surveyed, government helps assure that every eligible citizen is registered to vote. If the United States were to modernize voter registration in this way, it would add between 50 and 65 million citizens to the rolls." How do you feel about compulsory voter registration? I think I'm against it, but I can be convinced.


ROG

2 comments:

Roger Owen Green said...

As a friend of mine put it: "The most radical document ever.
If you've never read it, do so. If you have, read it again.
Happy Independence Day!"

When in the Course of human events it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them, a decent respect to the opinions of mankind requires that they should declare the causes which impel them to the separation.

Greg said...

I don't know about compulsory voting, but it's a no-brainer to move Election Day to a Monday and make it a holiday. The reason it's on Tuesday is so freakin' farmers could make it to the polls on time, but I don't see a lot of farmers rolling up in their carriages these days. Move it to Monday, make it a three-day weekend (Americans love three-day weekends!) and I bet voter turnout would increase right away. Stupid traditions!