My Blog List

People I Know

Eclectic Folks

Media Blogs

Politics, Policy Blogs

Page Rank

Check Page Rank of your Web site pages instantly:

This page rank checking tool is powered by Page Rank Checker service

Friday, August 29, 2008

Michael Jackson Turns 50


I remember in the mid-1970s, Andy Rooney, the guy on 60 Minutes, used to do these occasional pieces, these "humorous" mini-documentaries about restaurants, or different ways people sing the song "Misty".

One piece was about who is famous. I recall that while Paul McCartney was famous, Michael Jackson, then with the Jackson Five, was not, at least in his mind, Famous meant generally recognized, regardless of generation.

Well, if asked now, I'm sure Andy would consider him famous, or perhaps a bit infamous.

I like quite a bit of Michael's music, particularly the early J5 and the early parts of his solo career. Last year at this time, I noted that I thought his 1979 album, Off the Wall, was better than his massive 1982 album, Thriller. The first cut from the earlier album can be found here. His electrifying performance at Motown 25, which I haven't seen since the mid-1980s, still brings a smile to my face.

And I noted that since I share his disease, I viscerally understood some of his craziness (the surgeries, the mask, not the hanging a baby over a balcony.)

So, on his half century mark, I'm disinclined to go beat up Michael. I'll leave that for others. I'll just wish him well.







ROG

No comments: