It'll be a year and a half of blogging tomorrow. Sometimes, I write on the hard-hitting issues of the day. Then there are other times:
Got one of "those" e-mails that was supposed to remind me of the "good old days", which I might have just read and deleted, but which somehow penetrated my mind:
About ALL THE KIDS WHO SURVIVED the 1930's 40's, 50's, 60's and 70's !!
First, we survived being born to mothers who smoked and/or drank while they were pregnant.
Well, my mom didn't drink or smoke, and in any case, fetal alcohol syndrome is a real problem that some kids didn't survive.
Plus they took aspirin, ate blue cheese dressing, tuna from a can, and didn't get tested for diabetes.
81 mg of aspirin daily except the week before I'm about to donate blood.
Then after that trauma, we were put to sleep on our tummies in baby cribs covered with bright colored lead-based paints.
Yeah, we DIDN'T die of Sudden Infant Death Syndrome, luckily.
As infants & children, we would ride in cars with no car seats, booster seats, seat belts or air bags.
Seat belts almost certainly saved my life at least once.
We had no childproof lids on medicine bottles, doors or cabinets and when we
rode our bikes, we had no helmets, not to mention, the risks we took hitchhiking.
To this day, I wouldn't ride my bike without a helmet; it reduces the chance of brain injury something like 80%.
I DID used to hitchhike regularly until about 1979, but I had a few peculiar encounters.
Riding in the back of a pick up on a warm day was always a special treat.
Yes, I did do that and survived not falling out.
We didn't cough into our elbows, we forgot to wash our hands sometimes, and never used a sanitizing gel to get clean.
Actually, I wonder about the efficacy of sanitizing gel. Where do the germs GO?
We drank water from the garden hose and NOT from a bottle.
I AM astonished about the bottled water industry. Some comedian - why do I think it was Carlin? - pretty much asked the same question. So, were we all dehydrated for years? Probably.
We shared one soft drink with four friends, from one bottle
NO ONE and actually died from this.
As far as we know.
We ate cupcakes, white bread and real butter and drank koolade made with sugar, but we weren't overweight because ...
WE WERE ALWAYS OUTSIDE PLAYING !
Well, I WAS overweight as a kid, though I was, in fact, always out playing.
We would leave home in the morning and play all day, as long as we were back when the streetlights came on.
No one was able to reach us all day.
And we were O.K.
Largely true in my case, actually, though I was always likely at Valley Street park, the Ansco ball field past the cemetery, or on the school playground.
We would spend hours building our go-carts out of scraps and then ride down
the hill, only to find out we forgot the brakes. After running into the bushes a few times, we learned to solve the problem.
Well, it wasn't go-karts, but I did ride my bike with bad brakes down a steep hill into bushes. I survived in spite of that, but I was lucky a couple times.
We did not have Playstations, Nintendo's, X-boxes, no video games at all, no 150 channels on cable, no video movies or DVD's, no surround-sound or CD's, no cell phones, no personal computers, no Internet or chat rooms.......
WE HAD FRIENDS and we went outside and found them!
I had friends, but I also had a lot of solitary pursuits as well.
We fell out of trees, got cut, broke bones and teeth and there were no
lawsuits from these accidents.
Always need the requisite lawyer-bashing in these things.
We ate worms and mud pies made from dirt, and the worms did not live in us forever.
Well, no.
We were given BB guns for our 10th birthdays,
Ditto.
made up games with sticks and tennis balls and, although we were told it would happen, we did not put out very many eyes.
The first half IS true.
We rode bikes or walked to a friend's house and knocked on the door or rang
the bell, or just walked in and talked to them!
Not in my neighborhood, even then.
Little League had tryouts and not everyone made the team. Those who didn't had to learn to deal with disappointment. Imagine that!!
This DOES resonate a bit.
The idea of a parent bailing us out if we broke the law was unheard of.
They actually sided with the law!
Except when the law was a ass.
These generations have produced some of the best risk-takers, problem solvers and inventors ever!
The past 50 years have been an explosion of innovation and new ideas.
We had freedom, failure, success and responsibility, and we learned
HOW TO DEAL WITH IT ALL!
Implicit in this is that persons born later than 1979 will not be innovative and creative? Oh, please.
If YOU are one of them . . . CONGRATULATIONS!
You might want to share this with others who have had the luck to grow up as kids,
before the lawyers and the government regulated so much of our lives for our own good.
And while you are at it, forward it to your kids so they will know how brave (and lucky) their parents were.
Kind of makes you want to run through the house with scissors, doesn't it?!
The whole premise of "the good, old days," when the life expectancy was less, when people died of diseases that are now all but eradicated, with injuries that can now be treated is bogus.
But the other underlying theme, that we can now have GPS on our kids' cellphones so we know where they are at every minute, almost literally, IS largely true. Even when I was a kid, I was cognizant of "bad people out there". But IS our reaction too much? I don't know, but as Lydia grows up, I suspect I'll find out.
Your thoughts are welcome.
MY PRIMARY BLOG
My Twitter
My Blog List
-
It takes a lot of practice - A friend asked: “If you had the chance to ask three different people (living or dead, famous or not) ONE question… who and what would you ask?” The one req...5 years ago
-
Teach the Young: A Frank-ly Kind Act - This story was brought to my attention by our esteemed alumnus, Roger Green. This is the story of youngsters thwarted in their initial forays into small bu...6 years ago
-
Faded road markings cause concern - Q: Can someone at New York state tell me why the DOT doesn’t use a better reflective paint when the lines are painted? It appears the paint used has no ref...7 years ago
-
FTC-IRS Initiative Aims to Make it Easier for Consumers to Report Tax-Related Identity Theft - The Federal Trade Commission and the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) are teaming up to make it easier for consumers to report tax-related identity theft an...8 years ago
-
Double and last - Hi all members of our ABC-Wednesday-family. This will be the last birthdaypost on this url... because in 2 days ABC Wednesday will move to http://abcwed...9 years ago
-
Your Signed Books and Artwork Just Got Harder to Sell in California - From Eureka Booksellers On September 9, 2016, California Governor Jerry Brown signed AB1570 Collectibles: Sale of Autographed Memorabilia into law. The ...10 years ago
-
Alan Moore's Twilight Proposal - Introduction by Alan David Doane: Honestly I didn't intend the irony, but this week's FMF, looking at Alan Moore's never-published Twilight proposal, also ...14 years ago
-
-
People I Know
-
Developing the World’s Most Sustainable Energy Systems: How SUNY Innovation Captured Nine DOE Genesis Mission Grants - Written by: Matthew J. Sheiffer The U.S. Department of Energy’s GENESIS Program is a major research initiative designed to accelerate breakthrough energy...3 weeks ago
-
MAGAt Fear - While it’s true that some MAGAmericans are simply stupid, I have a different perspective regarding the most of them: *They're scared.* Humans are not ...1 year ago
-
Tottenham vs Eintracht Frankfurt 11/04/2025: Cuộc chiến căng thẳng tại London - Trận đấu giữa Tottenham vs Eintracht Frankfurt 11/04/2025 hứa hẹn sẽ là một cuộc đối đầu đầy kịch tính và hấp dẫn. Với sự cạnh tranh khốc liệt ở cả hai giả...1 year ago
-
In memoriam: Jan Galligan - I am posting a link to Jan Galligan's online obituary for any and all who may have known him or read the items published here that he contributed to. RIP...1 year ago
-
Concert Review: Bassekou Kouyate and Ngoni Ba at UPH 2/16/24 - When Bassekou Kouyate asked “Are you happy?” at Universal Preservation Hall Friday, he knew the answer. Everybody was, both in the audience and onstage. ...2 years ago
-
Freezing Cold March For Dr. King - Plus the politicized Census, police hiring shortfalls, ornamental apple trees and the mayor’s image cloaking device6 years ago
-
Eagle Scout Project - Rutherford neighbor Krish Soni is getting started on his Eagle Scout project on Saturday, October 26. He will be labeling storm drains in the neighborhood ...6 years ago
-
February Thaw - My friend Phil and I have a tradition of meeting outside his building and going for a walk around his block once a month. Last Wednesday was a great day fo...8 years ago
-
Kellyanne Conway named UAlbany graduation commencement speaker - Kellyanne Conway, the pollster who organized the election campaign of President Donald Trump, has been named by the University at Albany to be its keynote ...9 years ago
-
Do You Write About Comics? - Trouble With Comics is looking for new voices. Please help us find them.11 years ago
-
We’re Off On An Adventure! - Just now, Marge and I are doing a bit of adventuring. The next adventure will include a whole new online reality and presence for me and my work… See you i...11 years ago
-
It Changes - Living with Lupus and Fibro and Asthma is often not so much 'one day at a time.' It is much more like one fifteen minute segment of time - at at time. This...13 years ago
-
Goodbye, goodbye, goodbye… - Well, kids, this is it. I’m leaving first thing tomorrow morning. My visits home will be few and far between, and when they happen, they’ll be exclusive...13 years ago
-
-
Spring is here? - As far as the pro peloton goes, it’s on! I watched the Tour of Flanders today, and it was one of the best races I’ve ever seen. “Looking back, you get a b...15 years ago
-
Modern Types-Ronald Searle,Geoffrey Gorer - With the recent attention given to Ronald Searle's 90th birthday and new interview,I decided to look at one of his books. The book is titled Modern Ty...16 years ago
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
Eclectic Folks
-
September Photo Challenge: Make your month about you - September’s photo prompt for PJ’s challenge is Make your month about you. I could have gone the route of making the month about me by pampering myself with...20 hours ago
-
September ends well - Today’s the last day of September 2026, and it was a good one—and this is a much more positive month’s end than *the end of July was.* This is because I ac...3 days ago
-
When Engineers Built Jumper Cables and Bombs: The High-Stakes Utility of Classic PvP Crafting - This guide delves into the intricate world of classic PvP crafting, focusing on the engineering behind jumper cables and bombs. Understanding the mechani...6 days ago
-
What Changes for Physicians Under Rocket Doctor’s New Network Agreement - The practical effect of Rocket Doctor’s August 18 provider network deal falls first on the physicians using the platform, not […]1 week ago
-
oblong (and a bit about ovals) - Ben Zimmer forwarded me this post from Threads, in which the writer Ruth Ware finds a transatlantic difference between AmE and BrE interpretations of *ob...4 weeks ago
-
-
AmeriNZ 426 – Success story - Today is a coincidence of twenty-sixes—though that’s not important, of course. In the time since the previous episode, I completed the first part of my dec...3 months ago
-
NYC, July 3, 1981 - Brunch in my friend’s back gardenWe sipped mimosasLingered over lemon sconesStuffing our faces, coffee strongstiffsteamingThe scent of patchouli streamingA...3 months ago
-
Auntie Dot & Uncle Moss - Auntie Dot and Uncle Moss. Auntie Dot and Uncle Moss met through work. They both worked on the buses. Uncle Moss was a driver and Auntie Dot was a condu...8 months ago
-
100 Words – Liturgy as Cosmology - Once when I finished Morning Prayer, with it’s rhythm of prayers, Scripture, and song, the Spirit whispered to my heart, “You just participated in the hear...9 months ago
-
23 Down. - 23 years ago, on October 24, I started this here blog. I don't post to it regularly anymore, but I hate to see it go completely dead, so happy blogavers...11 months ago
-
This is The End (a follow-up) - I wrote yesterday about my possibly retiring this space in favor of migrating all of my blogging to ForgottenStars.net, because of Reasons. I am now pul...4 years ago
-
The long, LONG saga of Mia's new chair - I've been wanting to write about Mia's new chair for a while, because it's something that we hope will help her out a lot. However, I didn't want to write ...7 years ago
-
Tough Day - A few weeks ago, I turned 38, and I am still under the scrutiny of strangers in public. One would think that once you're out of grade school, middle school...8 years ago
-
-
Retro Y'all - Been doing a lot of jumping lately, but feel I don't have much to show for it. Oh well. At least I'm still getting my clothes on the right way. Seriously...8 years ago
-
Spring is in the air. - After a few wonderful, sunny days we are back to a somewhat grey and rainy day. Yesterday all doors back and front, were open all day long. The central he...8 years ago
-
U is for UNDER and UP - I had no idea what to post for this week's celebration of the letter *U*. It took a lot of looking through all my photos to come *UP* with an idea. So ...8 years ago
-
Song of the Week: "Whispering Your Name" - I just got this into my head a while back. This is Alison Moyet, from her 1994 album *Essex*, one of my favorite albums which I discovered because of Becca...9 years ago
-
No parallel - Get a good look at these: Whence they came: After seeing that incredible glow-in-the-dark Zac Posen dress that Claire Danes wore at the 2016 Met Gala, Lori...9 years ago
-
ABC Wednesday: The Importance of Being Bored - When I was growing up, you being bored was your problem that you were responsible to rectify. As children we learned never to be bored- or at least not t...9 years ago
-
Parenting Tips - Posting for the first time in a while to share some parenting advice. So last year, one of my twin daughters mocked a handicapped kid at school, grabbed a ...9 years ago
-
Save Up to Half! - This has got to be my new favorite classic comic book ad. Accordions? Was there a really enough demand for accordions to place a half-page ad in, of all th...9 years ago
-
Happy Purim!!!! - My rendition of The Purim Somg by Alison Faith Levy. Here is Alison! Visit her website alisonfaithlevy.com10 years ago
-
Berowne's 294 - (Also for Three Word Wednesday and ABC Wednesday: "S" is for "shrewish") No quiz this week. Instead I got to thinking about the enigmatic play we dealt w...10 years ago
-
A phony and a failure - After watching part of the clown show the other night it's a safe bet none of these guys or girl is capable of running anything. It looked more like a...11 years ago
-
Age is a State of Mind, Somewhere Near Nebraska - What a year it has been! After surviving the odometer rolling over to 40, I had a year of sabbatical. That gave me plenty of time to think about my mid-lif...11 years ago
-
The End of a Long Day - You know those days where all you really want to do is change into your pajamas and curl up on the couch while you decide which comfort food would mak...12 years ago
-
Choosing Blogs To Comment On For Effective Backlinks And Networking - Choosing a blog to comment on should never be taken lightly. These tips will help you make the most of your time and effectiveness of your backlinks. Th...12 years ago
-
#Freaking Out -AND! - Calmly completely freaking out about my move. AND! I quit smoking. I feel this qualifies me to have an opinion on how to do it. So I am calmly completel...13 years ago
-
Gaze Upon My Works and Snicker, Part 53. - [image: DP700-F365028] Another quickie sketch at work, because I wanted to draw Pandora A in a white fuzzy hat (no, I don't know the name for them) and a b...13 years ago
-
Year in Review: My favorite music of 2011 - It's that time of year, so here my picks for my favorite music of 2011, in alphabetical order: Beirut, “The Rip Tide” Sometimes sad is good, and Beirut do...14 years ago
-
-
-
-
-
-
Comic Book Links
-
A Musical Moment20 hours ago
-
-
Bloggin'1 year ago
-
-
-
Free Comic Book Day 20188 years ago
-
This Blog9 years ago
-
Stardoll 1: Secrets & Dreams13 years ago
-
I'm Just a Broadway Baby13 years ago
-
-
Media Blogs
-
Hawaii’s picturesque Hōlei Sea Arch collapses into the ocean - NBC News - 1. Hawaii’s picturesque Hōlei Sea Arch collapses into the ocean NBC News 2. The Holei Sea Arch, a Centuries-Old Hawaii Wonder, Crumbles Into the ...13 hours ago
-
Quantified Self cofounder Gary Wolf brings his new book to Los Angeles - [image: Image: The Quantified Self cover / Workman] My friend and Wired colleague Gary Wolf is one of my favorite writers. He wrote a bunch of fantastic ar...17 hours ago
-
Best Federal Whistleblower Attorneys in D.C.: Five Firms to Know, Starting With Mundaca Law - Reporting misconduct inside a federal agency can put a career at risk, and the legal protections available are narrower and more deadline-driven than mos...3 days ago
-
Momouflage - “Back in the 70s when my mom could take a nap undisturbed because no one could find her.” The post Momouflage appeared first on AwkwardFamilyPhotos.com.1 week ago
-
Beste Online Casinos ohne LUGAS: Einsteigerleitfaden für sichere und spannende Spiele - Der Online-Casino-Markt boomt, und viele Spieler suchen nach Plattformen, die ein hohes Maß an Sicherheit und Datenschutz bieten. In diesem Leitfaden stell...2 months ago
-
FOUND WORD OTD: ACEHOOT - OOTHECA: an egg case of certain insects [n] Seen on a local farmer’s Instagram page, apparently this is the egg sac of a mantis? Wild. As for hooks, pl...11 months ago
-
Episode 326: The WGA Strike - One by one, Ken goes over the many issues the WGA is fighting for and why they’re important. He also gives an overview of the situation and how it might...3 years ago
-
The dopamine jail of joke Twitter - I’m home from vacation and the Planet Funny promotional engine is slowing down. (There’s still one last signing at Powell’s City of Books in two short week...8 years ago
-
Rex Smith: The spy who came in with a Trump tale - The phrase was chilling. Omitting the contemporary names, it evoked Cold War plots peopled with brusque patriots icily staring death in the face: “Ex-Spy G...9 years ago
-
2016 Emmy Awards – By The Rules - [image: emmys]Or as it should probably be known: the night that a broadcast network gives up three hours at the start of the season to honour cable and str...10 years ago
-
Mom Has Stacked Dinner Party Roster - GOLDEN, CO—Their eyes widening in amazement as the 43-year-old rattled off the names of heavy hitter after heavy hitter, impressed members of the Dreesh...10 years ago
-
Play reveals how Paul got Fixing a Hole from Mal Evans - The play "Beatle Mal," based on Beatles roadie Mal Evans, was performed for one night only in Liverpool, Sept 28th. In the play, it is revealed how Paul go...13 years ago
-
Week 17 NFL Picks - Last week’s 10 wins leaves me with 153 wins. Weak season. Sorry. Week 17 picks NFL Picks Away Home Chicago Detroit NY Jets Buffalo Tampa Bay Atlanta Caroli...13 years ago
-
Coverville Countdown 2012: Nominations Begin NOW! - It’s that time of year again! Time for you to nominate and vote for your favorite covers, and for me to spend the last few shows of the year to line them...13 years ago
-
Obama’s speech coverage on NPR - What were the people at NPR thinking? The coverage of President Obama’s speech on National Public Radio on Wednesday was just awful. I’ve never minded anal...15 years ago
-
-
-
Politics, Policy Blogs
-
'Historic Victory': Judge Blocks Trump's Big Bend Border Construction—For Now - A federal judge in El Paso on Friday temporarily blocked the Trump administration from continuing construction of border barriers, roads, and other infra...17 hours ago
-
New Film: “An Ordinary Insanity,” The Daniel Ellsberg Movie on the Nuclear Threat - Filmmaker Judith Ehrlich has done it again! Her 2009 film about Daniel Ellsberg, The Most Dangerous Man in America, was nominated for an Oscar. Now she is ...2 months ago
-
Mass job cuts on the horizon as Trump's economy backslides - On Tuesday, Amazon announced it is cutting 14,000 corporate jobs, becoming the latest major corporation to slash its workforce in the rapidly declining e...11 months ago
-
SLOT GACOR LGOLIVE YGGDRASIL GOLDEN FISHTANK 2 GIGABLOX - Pengen ngerasain sensasi main di akuarium penuh ikan warna-warni? Golden Fishtank 2 Gigablox dari Yggdrasil di LGOLIVE adalah slot gacor hari ini yang ba...1 year ago
-
2PP132 – 16 May 2020 - This episode was delayed, yet again, because Arthur didn’t have enough time. Anyway, here we are—were? Today’s chat was about the changes to New Zealand’s ...6 years ago
-
How to take care of your hair this winter - During cold weather, doing less to your hair will benefit it more.8 years ago
-
My New Venture: Top Flight Family - You may have noticed that you haven’t heard much from me lately. That’s because I’ve been quietly working on new passion of mine, a digital media startup o...10 years ago
-
First blog post - This is your very first post. Click the Edit link to modify or delete it, or start a new post. If you like, use this post to tell readers why you started t...10 years ago
-
‘I’m a verb’: An MTA worker responds to criticism of Leslie Jones’ Ghostbusters role - By Arturo R. García The most hopeful — and poignant — commentary surrounding Leslie Jones’… The post ‘I’m a verb’: An MTA worker responds to criticism of...10 years ago
-
10.15.15 MUSLIMS & TPP - This article originally appeared in the 10.15.15 issue of Metroland Buried under all the hoo-hah about the debates and Lamar Odom was a significant cour...10 years ago
-
The Long-term Consequences of WLS - Rich & Heather's Story - My name is Rich, but I may be better known to some of you as richie79 of the UK who used to post prolifically here on Big Fat Blog and elsewhere in the F...13 years ago
-
-
-
This Is Not A Joke - A new ball game - with tasers. Hat-tip : The Volokh Conspiracy According to The Daily Caller, Eric Prum, one of the founders of Ultimate Tak Ball, said, “I...14 years ago
-
THIS BLOG NOW MOVED. Follow the link below. Thank you! - THIS LINK TAKES YOU TO THE NEW SITE, SAME BLOG Please join me and subscribe over there. Thank you for following my work and writing.14 years ago
-
-
-
-
Websites to Which I Contribute
Page Rank
|
Check Page Rank of your Web site pages instantly: |
|
This page rank checking tool is powered by Page Rank Checker service |
Wednesday, November 01, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




1 comment:
In terms of the weight thing, all those kids from pre-1979 are currently some hefty adults. So, all that white bread, cupcakes, and koolaide caught up with them, seemingly.
For bottled water, I am not the first to point it out, but Evian is naive spelled backwards.
Post a Comment