My Blog List

People I Know

Eclectic Folks

Media Blogs

Politics, Policy Blogs

Page Rank

Check Page Rank of your Web site pages instantly:

This page rank checking tool is powered by Page Rank Checker service

Saturday, May 23, 2009

LYING Question

I ALMOST started watching this TV show called Lie To Me this season; if I didn't have so much recorded but unwatched, I might have. Since it's been renewed, i still may. The premise is that the "world's leading deception expert who studies facial expressions and involuntary body language to discover not only if someone is lying, but why."

Some people are just lousy liars and even a layperson can tell. But think of the Bernie Madoffs or other seemingly responsible people; they lied through their teeth daily but almost no one caught on until it was too late.

The singular thing I learned from Ronald Reagan was "trust but verify".

I used to be lied to in relationships, which makes finding someone who is pretty much incapable of telling a lie a pretty sweet deal.

So how do you think your lie-detector radar is?
***
Why people lie — and how to tell if they are
How To Tell if Your Spouse is Lying




Your Slogan Should Be



Roger. Uncommonly Made, Uncommonly Good.


ROG

2 comments:

Greg said...

"Lie to Me" is pretty good; it's interesting mainly because they always come up with unusual situations where you can't imagine who's lying and why they would, but they are.

I'm actually pretty good at lying, or at least I used to be when I lived with my parents. Unless they knew I was lying and just never called me on it.

And I'm terrible at telling when others are lying to me. Part of it is because I generally assume people are going to be honest, so that's my default attitude. I'm just not a suspicious person, I guess.

cd said...

"Trust, but verify" is something I also consider to be very wise, despite the phrase coming from a source that I don't usually associate with wisdom.

I'm a terrible liar, and I used to believe people pretty much automatically unless I had good reason to distrust them. But after being engaged to a compulsive liar--I was not his only fiancee at the time, it turns out--I've become much more likely to rely on my "lying eyes".

Do you remember a TV show called "To Tell the Truth"?