My Blog List

People I Know

Eclectic Folks

Media Blogs

Politics, Policy Blogs

Page Rank

Check Page Rank of your Web site pages instantly:

This page rank checking tool is powered by Page Rank Checker service

Wednesday, August 24, 2005

Mixed Bag CD Blog-Fred






NAME: Fred G. (for Guru) Hembeck, comic book impressario, best known as the father of one Julie Hembeck, whose fifteenth birthday is this very week
BLOG NAME: Fred Sez, part of Hembeck.com
NAME OF CD: Ring In the Obscure, Ring Out The Odd
NUMBER OF CUTS: 20
RUNNING TIME: 78:34
COVER ART: Nicely typed

SONG LIST:
1. Sleep That Burns-Be Bop Deluxe
2. Losing True-The Roches
3. Twenty-Five Fingers-Paul McCartney and Elvis Costello (from the McCartney/McManus Collaborations, a bootleg of demos and such, from the My Brave Face era. That song was never officially released, with only the demo available for the fans.)
4. Unwanted Number-For Real
5. Hey St. Peter-Flash and the Pan
6. American UFO-John Southworth
7. What Kind of Fool Are You?-Swing Out Sister
8. Me and My Monkey-Robbie Williams
9. Brother, Can You Spare a Dime-Mandy Patinkin
10. Change the World-Nellie McKay
11. So Says I-the Shins
12. Remember-Air
13. Hurt-Code Blue
14. Dreaming of You-the Coral
15. Colour Slide-the Honeycombs
16. Sleep with Me Instead-Louise Goffin
17. Whispering Your Name-Jules Shear
18. Just One Smile-Gene Pitney (an early Randy Newman number, also covered by the Kooper-led BS&T and by Dusty Springfield)
19. I’ll Be Seeing You-Ann Hampton Callaway (from the original cast recording of the B'way musical "Swing")
20. Don’t Hang Up-10cc
(Notes by Encyclopedia George)
ALREADY REVIEWED BY: Gordon on July 21
GENERAL THOUGHTS: I’ve gotten more mixed CDs from Fred than anyone I know, so I’m always looking forward to his discs. I found that I liked this more on the second play than the first, and the third more than the second.
THINGS I PARTICULARLY LOVED: The alarm that starts the CD, and the hang up that ends it. Track 15- sounds somewhat like their hit "Have I the Right?" Songs I had all but forgotten in a new context (2 and especially 5). 3, 4, 6, 11, 12, 13.
ON THE OTHER HAND: Maybe a little too romantic at the end, but no big deal. But the big finish on 9 grinds the proceedings to a halt.
OFFICE FRIENDLY: The F-word in "Me and My Monkey"
ONLY VAGUELY RELATED: Nellie McKay is a lot younger than she sounds.

No comments: