My Blog List

People I Know

Eclectic Folks

Media Blogs

Politics, Policy Blogs

Page Rank

Check Page Rank of your Web site pages instantly:

This page rank checking tool is powered by Page Rank Checker service

Sunday, January 08, 2006

Pelvis


The Times Union, the local paper, requested memories of Elvis on the 20th anniversary of his death back in 1997.

Section: LIFE & LEISURE Page: C1
Date: Saturday, August 16, 1997
REMEMBERING ELVIS RECOLLECTIONS OF THE LIFE AND MUSIC OF THE KING ARE SWEETENED THROUGH THE AGES FOR LOYAL FANS

I wrote this long essay, only a small portion of which made it into print.

My father hated Elvis. He resented this white artist stealing/exploiting/ profiting from performing black music. (But then half of the musicians in the '50s and '60s from Pat Boone to Led Zeppelin ``borrowed'' from black music). So I never owned any Elvis music as a child or teenager.

Still, I did like some of his songs ("Jailhouse Rock," "Little Sister"). So I watched the '68 "comeback special" and became grudgingly, a mild fan.

When Elvis died, I thought, "Oh that's too bad." The Elvis cult that's developed since 1977 I view with fascination and utter bemusement.

-- Roger Green, Albany.


Subsequently, I egained more and more respect for the music of the artist, who is one of the richest dead men in the world.

Are you male or female: Lonely Man
Describe yourself: A Mess of Blues
How do some people feel about you: Anyway You Want Me (That's How I'll Be)
How do you feel about yourself: Teddy Bear
Describe what you want to be: King of the Whole Wide World
Describe how you live: Flaming Star
Describe how you love: Burning Love; Surrender; Wear My Ring Around Your Neck
Share a few words of wisdom: Don't Be Cruel; Follow That Dream; Let Yourself Go

Fred- Hear that Julie's into David Bowie. His birthday's today, too! But you already knew that, I see from just finishing your post.

No comments: