My Blog List

People I Know

Eclectic Folks

Media Blogs

Politics, Policy Blogs

Page Rank

Check Page Rank of your Web site pages instantly:

This page rank checking tool is powered by Page Rank Checker service

Friday, March 23, 2007

March Rambling

Yesterday, I was walking home from the drugstore carrying a couple bags, including a couple prescriptions plus bottles of ginger ale and cranberry juice for Carol, who had a couple wisdom teeth removed yesterday morning. This guy in his car yells out his window, something "doing with those f*****' bags?", looking at me. Then he giggled and drove away. I'm not sure why, but I've been a victim of that "yell and drive" before, in Albany, at least twice with a racial overtone. Sure I can ignore it, but I'd lying if I told you it didn't bother me, more as a reflection of the inanity of human beings, rather than any real damage done to me.

Still, if I weren't carrying items that slowed me down, I might have tried to catch up with this dude and ask him why he was being such a [end place for the digestive tract for an equine].

In fact, one time when I was a target of yell and drive, I was on my bicycle, and I did go after the car, which caught a traffic light. I got up to the car, pounded my fist on the trunk once, then pulled over to the passenger side, where the yeller was. He got all "hey, man, only kidding, man, it was a joke, man" on me. I said nothing as the car pulled away. That WAS fun, though.
***
There is this quite lovely woman I've seen on the bus. She is, as they say, "a woman of a certain age", with gray hair. She had age lines but they looked (really) good on her. A couple days ago, I see her and she's dyed her hair brown. Oddly, it made her look older, for the gray hairs, her face earned; the brunette ones, not so much.
***
High lead levels found in some Albany schools. This is not only somewhat distressing, but also a bit surprising. One of the schools is brand new (opened in January 2007) and is the school Lydia is likely to attend in a couple years.
***
There was an excellent story, written by a sixth grader, in the local paper about her peanut allergy. we're going to make copies so that Lydia and the people around her will have a better idea what Lydia is/will be going through.
***
Clutter and mess trump clean and neat: a story after my own desk, er, heart.
***
Here's a useful caffeine reference.
***
My old pal David Brickman has one of his photos, "View of Arbor Hill Neighborhood looking North from Lark Street 1998," which was purchased by the Albany Institute of History and Art last spring, now on exhibit in their "entry gallery," where works from the vast permanent collection are showcased. If you are within reach, you can go to the Institute and have a look. Or, use the link to see the image on his website.
***
My daughter woke up screaming at 4 am yesterday from a nightmare. SHE went back to sleep; I didn't. Then last night, I stayed up watching basketball (I got 3 out of 4 -Memphis won by 1 - ouch) until 12:30 am. Need caffeine. More tomorrow.


ROG

No comments: