My Blog List

People I Know

Eclectic Folks

Media Blogs

Politics, Policy Blogs

Page Rank

Check Page Rank of your Web site pages instantly:

This page rank checking tool is powered by Page Rank Checker service

Friday, April 09, 2010

On the Road Again

The family has been on a (delayed) road trip. We were scheduled to leave on Friday for Charlotte, NC to visit my mother, my sisters (including the one from San Diego) and my 19-y.o. niece. But I felt awful the previous Wednesday night: Chills, yet sweating; sore throat, and generally a desire never to leave my bed ever again. I wasn't that much better on Thursday. I felt marginally better on Friday, and I was willing to give travel a shot. The wife, conversely, thought I should actually try to get well before departing.

Random interesting things we experienced:

In Pulaski, VA McDonald's, after I had ordered lunch.
Employee #1: This salad seems warm!
Employee #2: Shhh1 Don't talk like that in front of the customers. Don't say stuff like that!
Employee #1:: I don't care! I'm always going to tell the truth!
(Does Employee #2 think I'm deaf? BTW, I thought the salad was fine, though I was ready to return it if it wasn't.)

Perkins' restaurant somewhere in central Pennsylvania: Poster for American Idol candidate Aaron Kelly; actually watched the results show (for first time in three years) to see if he survived; he did. But viewing reminded me why I HATE the AI results show; they just drag out the torture. i

Coolest water tower: in Mount Jackson, VA.


Worst traffic jam: northbound on I-77 Wednesday morning just north of Statesville, NC. 10 miles in 50 minutes. The worst part is that we could have missed it by exiting the highway and taking Route 21 for 20 miles.

In Walgreen's in Charlotte Tuesday night:
Customer: I didn't like what you said!
Employee: I didn't say anything.
Customer: You were pointing at my family, and...
Employee: I didn't say anything.
Customer: You are in customer service, you ought to know better.
Employee: I didn't...
Customer: I'm going to talk to the manager. Where's the manager?
Employee: Go right ahead. [Walks away.]
Customer: I'm going to tear this m*****f***in' place to the ground!
(We left a few minutes later with a degree of trepidation.)

Greatest annoyance about our hotel, the Drury in Charlotte: the smokers who stood six feet from the entrance, every day, so that one has to run the gauntlet to avoid the stench. The greatest pleasure about our hotel: the glass-sided elevator.

There were on the road, heading from from the Bluebird bus company in Alabama driving to Quebec five new school buses, one pulling a van ee assume carried the drivers down. The daughter asked what was on the buses, then repeated the phrase "Arretez aux signaux".


ROG

1 comment:

lv2scpbk said...

It does look like a cool water tower.