Four and a half years or so. That seems to be the answer to the question, "When will it be time to talk about 9/11?"
Not that there haven't been earlier responses, from Macca's well-meaning but insipid tune "Freedom" to some Michael Moore film and other conspiracy theorists. But in the last few weeks, there have been two major motion pictures and seemingly dozens of TV movies, documentaries and "specials".
So, what I am thinking about five years on? (And how many people will be ticked off by same?)
1. Well, let's start with an analogy. I felt really badly when Bobby Kennedy was assassinated. It wasn't because I liked him , but because I didn't. I didn't trust him as Attorney General, and wasn't convinced of his transformation as a populist. So when he was killed, I felt a sense of awkwardness.
But nothing like I felt in 9/11. When the Twin Towers were built in the 1970s, I thought they were awful. Ugly. Ostentatious. Did NOT enhance the classic New York City skyline. So when they collapsed, I felt just a little...guilty. And even more so, when in coming days, I learned they were targeted precisely because of their prominence. Actually, I felt AWFUL, as though, in some small way, it was somehow my fault.
2. I believe Usama bin Laden does not belong on the FBI Top Ten list. You may or may not know that he's on there for "MURDER OF U.S. NATIONALS OUTSIDE THE UNITED STATES" (I assume this refers to the two 1998 US embassy bombings in Africa; "CONSPIRACY TO MURDER U.S. NATIONALS OUTSIDE THE UNITED STATES" (ditto); "ATTACK ON A FEDERAL FACILITY RESULTING IN DEATH" (I guess the 2000 attack on the USS Cole.)
He is NOT on the list for 9/11, because, by the definition established by the FBI, the 10 Most Wanted list "is designed to publicize particularly dangerous fugitives who might not otherwise merit nationwide attention." People such as Bucky Phillips, who allegedly shot three state troopers, killing one, and was fortunately caught on Friday. Now, one may not have known the name bin Laden after the African bombings or after a hole was blown in the Cole, but certainly no one has forgotten him now. Or have we?
3. The near deification of police departments all across America has made me somewhat...uncomfortable. I mean no disrespect to officers who died trying to save others, but the notion that, suddenly, police officers everywhere were exempt from criticism just didn't/doesn't sit right with me. (Apparently, other people have their Forbidden thoughts about 9/11.
4. I can't help but to remember that most of the headlines in the New York Post in August 2001 about Rudy Giuliani were about his messy divorce.
5. Lots of people were collecting LOTS of money - over $1 billion by some estimates - after the event. Some people, including me, were made to feel somehow "unpatriotic" for not contributing. Some of these groups I had never heard of, and I was reasonably (I thought) suspicious.
6. Patriotism is NOT defined by American flag lapel pins, bumper stickers, or ratty-looking flags on their cars (which ought to be destroyed, respectfully), but by being an informed citizen, writing letters to the editor, writing letters to one's representatives, and especially, voting. Which reminds me:
7. September 11, 2001 was Primary Day in New York State, ultimately postponed. As the law stands now, it will be Primary Day (for all races except the Presidency) on average every seven years. Some people think it ought to be changed to a week later, in order to "Honor the dead". I don't. September 11 is a GREAT day to exercise one's freedom. Besides, I think the state primary is too late anyway. At some point in my adult life, all the primaries in New York were in June, but as they moved the Presidential primary earlier, they found the need to move the other primaries later, which tends to advantage the incumbents and/or the candidates with the most money.
8. After the towers were hit, there was a call from the American Red Cross for blood, anticipating that there would be large numbers of non-fatal casualties, when in fact there were maybe a couple dozen. Then the lines were out the doors of the blood centers, and there were complaints that they weren't "more prepared" for an unprecedented outpouring. Some of the blood ended up being tossed, which created even more outrage. In fact, I'm a regular blood donor, scheduled weeks before to come in on September 19, and I was asked NOT to come in that day, but to wait a couple weeks. They thought (correctly) that I'd come back, and that most of these folks would not. So, if you donated after 9/11, and not since, go donate again; I promise you the need is great. This is not to say that the Red Cross didn't make mistakes at that time, such as putting money people wanted to donate to 9/11 victims to the general fund. But go donate anyway.
9. I had some real difficulty with the 9/11 fund that parced out based on the likely income potential, so the three-piece suit families fared far better than the restaurant worker families. And I wonder what the plan will be for the next disaster.
10. I don't care how he spins it now: GWB and his administration repeatedly mislead the American public into thinking there was a link between 9/11 and Iraq. But still: In a February 2005 Harris poll, 44% of Americans thought that there were Iraqis as pilots on the 9/11 planes, up from 37% in the previous poll. (I haven't seen a subsequent survey.) This is not Iraq/9/11 terror link opinion, some alleged (though unlikely) secret meeting between Saddam and bin Laden. This is an issue of FACT. Reading that really hurt my head.
Well, that's enough of THAT. We'll see if anyone comes back tomorrow.
***
Moby turns 40 today, so of course he turned 35 five years ago. Must be strange.
MY PRIMARY BLOG
My Twitter
My Blog List
-
It takes a lot of practice - A friend asked: “If you had the chance to ask three different people (living or dead, famous or not) ONE question… who and what would you ask?” The one req...5 years ago
-
Teach the Young: A Frank-ly Kind Act - This story was brought to my attention by our esteemed alumnus, Roger Green. This is the story of youngsters thwarted in their initial forays into small bu...6 years ago
-
Faded road markings cause concern - Q: Can someone at New York state tell me why the DOT doesn’t use a better reflective paint when the lines are painted? It appears the paint used has no ref...7 years ago
-
FTC-IRS Initiative Aims to Make it Easier for Consumers to Report Tax-Related Identity Theft - The Federal Trade Commission and the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) are teaming up to make it easier for consumers to report tax-related identity theft an...8 years ago
-
Double and last - Hi all members of our ABC-Wednesday-family. This will be the last birthdaypost on this url... because in 2 days ABC Wednesday will move to http://abcwed...9 years ago
-
Your Signed Books and Artwork Just Got Harder to Sell in California - From Eureka Booksellers On September 9, 2016, California Governor Jerry Brown signed AB1570 Collectibles: Sale of Autographed Memorabilia into law. The ...10 years ago
-
Alan Moore's Twilight Proposal - Introduction by Alan David Doane: Honestly I didn't intend the irony, but this week's FMF, looking at Alan Moore's never-published Twilight proposal, also ...14 years ago
-
-
People I Know
-
Developing the World’s Most Sustainable Energy Systems: How SUNY Innovation Captured Nine DOE Genesis Mission Grants - Written by: Matthew J. Sheiffer The U.S. Department of Energy’s GENESIS Program is a major research initiative designed to accelerate breakthrough energy...3 weeks ago
-
MAGAt Fear - While it’s true that some MAGAmericans are simply stupid, I have a different perspective regarding the most of them: *They're scared.* Humans are not ...1 year ago
-
Tottenham vs Eintracht Frankfurt 11/04/2025: Cuộc chiến căng thẳng tại London - Trận đấu giữa Tottenham vs Eintracht Frankfurt 11/04/2025 hứa hẹn sẽ là một cuộc đối đầu đầy kịch tính và hấp dẫn. Với sự cạnh tranh khốc liệt ở cả hai giả...1 year ago
-
In memoriam: Jan Galligan - I am posting a link to Jan Galligan's online obituary for any and all who may have known him or read the items published here that he contributed to. RIP...1 year ago
-
Concert Review: Bassekou Kouyate and Ngoni Ba at UPH 2/16/24 - When Bassekou Kouyate asked “Are you happy?” at Universal Preservation Hall Friday, he knew the answer. Everybody was, both in the audience and onstage. ...2 years ago
-
Freezing Cold March For Dr. King - Plus the politicized Census, police hiring shortfalls, ornamental apple trees and the mayor’s image cloaking device6 years ago
-
Eagle Scout Project - Rutherford neighbor Krish Soni is getting started on his Eagle Scout project on Saturday, October 26. He will be labeling storm drains in the neighborhood ...6 years ago
-
February Thaw - My friend Phil and I have a tradition of meeting outside his building and going for a walk around his block once a month. Last Wednesday was a great day fo...8 years ago
-
Kellyanne Conway named UAlbany graduation commencement speaker - Kellyanne Conway, the pollster who organized the election campaign of President Donald Trump, has been named by the University at Albany to be its keynote ...9 years ago
-
Do You Write About Comics? - Trouble With Comics is looking for new voices. Please help us find them.11 years ago
-
We’re Off On An Adventure! - Just now, Marge and I are doing a bit of adventuring. The next adventure will include a whole new online reality and presence for me and my work… See you i...11 years ago
-
It Changes - Living with Lupus and Fibro and Asthma is often not so much 'one day at a time.' It is much more like one fifteen minute segment of time - at at time. This...13 years ago
-
Goodbye, goodbye, goodbye… - Well, kids, this is it. I’m leaving first thing tomorrow morning. My visits home will be few and far between, and when they happen, they’ll be exclusive...13 years ago
-
-
Spring is here? - As far as the pro peloton goes, it’s on! I watched the Tour of Flanders today, and it was one of the best races I’ve ever seen. “Looking back, you get a b...15 years ago
-
Modern Types-Ronald Searle,Geoffrey Gorer - With the recent attention given to Ronald Searle's 90th birthday and new interview,I decided to look at one of his books. The book is titled Modern Ty...16 years ago
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
Eclectic Folks
-
September Photo Challenge: Make your month about you - September’s photo prompt for PJ’s challenge is Make your month about you. I could have gone the route of making the month about me by pampering myself with...22 hours ago
-
September ends well - Today’s the last day of September 2026, and it was a good one—and this is a much more positive month’s end than *the end of July was.* This is because I ac...3 days ago
-
When Engineers Built Jumper Cables and Bombs: The High-Stakes Utility of Classic PvP Crafting - This guide delves into the intricate world of classic PvP crafting, focusing on the engineering behind jumper cables and bombs. Understanding the mechani...6 days ago
-
What Changes for Physicians Under Rocket Doctor’s New Network Agreement - The practical effect of Rocket Doctor’s August 18 provider network deal falls first on the physicians using the platform, not […]1 week ago
-
oblong (and a bit about ovals) - Ben Zimmer forwarded me this post from Threads, in which the writer Ruth Ware finds a transatlantic difference between AmE and BrE interpretations of *ob...4 weeks ago
-
-
AmeriNZ 426 – Success story - Today is a coincidence of twenty-sixes—though that’s not important, of course. In the time since the previous episode, I completed the first part of my dec...3 months ago
-
NYC, July 3, 1981 - Brunch in my friend’s back gardenWe sipped mimosasLingered over lemon sconesStuffing our faces, coffee strongstiffsteamingThe scent of patchouli streamingA...3 months ago
-
Auntie Dot & Uncle Moss - Auntie Dot and Uncle Moss. Auntie Dot and Uncle Moss met through work. They both worked on the buses. Uncle Moss was a driver and Auntie Dot was a condu...8 months ago
-
100 Words – Liturgy as Cosmology - Once when I finished Morning Prayer, with it’s rhythm of prayers, Scripture, and song, the Spirit whispered to my heart, “You just participated in the hear...9 months ago
-
23 Down. - 23 years ago, on October 24, I started this here blog. I don't post to it regularly anymore, but I hate to see it go completely dead, so happy blogavers...11 months ago
-
This is The End (a follow-up) - I wrote yesterday about my possibly retiring this space in favor of migrating all of my blogging to ForgottenStars.net, because of Reasons. I am now pul...4 years ago
-
The long, LONG saga of Mia's new chair - I've been wanting to write about Mia's new chair for a while, because it's something that we hope will help her out a lot. However, I didn't want to write ...7 years ago
-
Tough Day - A few weeks ago, I turned 38, and I am still under the scrutiny of strangers in public. One would think that once you're out of grade school, middle school...8 years ago
-
-
Retro Y'all - Been doing a lot of jumping lately, but feel I don't have much to show for it. Oh well. At least I'm still getting my clothes on the right way. Seriously...8 years ago
-
Spring is in the air. - After a few wonderful, sunny days we are back to a somewhat grey and rainy day. Yesterday all doors back and front, were open all day long. The central he...8 years ago
-
U is for UNDER and UP - I had no idea what to post for this week's celebration of the letter *U*. It took a lot of looking through all my photos to come *UP* with an idea. So ...8 years ago
-
Song of the Week: "Whispering Your Name" - I just got this into my head a while back. This is Alison Moyet, from her 1994 album *Essex*, one of my favorite albums which I discovered because of Becca...9 years ago
-
No parallel - Get a good look at these: Whence they came: After seeing that incredible glow-in-the-dark Zac Posen dress that Claire Danes wore at the 2016 Met Gala, Lori...9 years ago
-
ABC Wednesday: The Importance of Being Bored - When I was growing up, you being bored was your problem that you were responsible to rectify. As children we learned never to be bored- or at least not t...9 years ago
-
Parenting Tips - Posting for the first time in a while to share some parenting advice. So last year, one of my twin daughters mocked a handicapped kid at school, grabbed a ...9 years ago
-
Save Up to Half! - This has got to be my new favorite classic comic book ad. Accordions? Was there a really enough demand for accordions to place a half-page ad in, of all th...9 years ago
-
Happy Purim!!!! - My rendition of The Purim Somg by Alison Faith Levy. Here is Alison! Visit her website alisonfaithlevy.com10 years ago
-
Berowne's 294 - (Also for Three Word Wednesday and ABC Wednesday: "S" is for "shrewish") No quiz this week. Instead I got to thinking about the enigmatic play we dealt w...10 years ago
-
A phony and a failure - After watching part of the clown show the other night it's a safe bet none of these guys or girl is capable of running anything. It looked more like a...11 years ago
-
Age is a State of Mind, Somewhere Near Nebraska - What a year it has been! After surviving the odometer rolling over to 40, I had a year of sabbatical. That gave me plenty of time to think about my mid-lif...11 years ago
-
The End of a Long Day - You know those days where all you really want to do is change into your pajamas and curl up on the couch while you decide which comfort food would mak...12 years ago
-
Choosing Blogs To Comment On For Effective Backlinks And Networking - Choosing a blog to comment on should never be taken lightly. These tips will help you make the most of your time and effectiveness of your backlinks. Th...12 years ago
-
#Freaking Out -AND! - Calmly completely freaking out about my move. AND! I quit smoking. I feel this qualifies me to have an opinion on how to do it. So I am calmly completel...13 years ago
-
Gaze Upon My Works and Snicker, Part 53. - [image: DP700-F365028] Another quickie sketch at work, because I wanted to draw Pandora A in a white fuzzy hat (no, I don't know the name for them) and a b...13 years ago
-
Year in Review: My favorite music of 2011 - It's that time of year, so here my picks for my favorite music of 2011, in alphabetical order: Beirut, “The Rip Tide” Sometimes sad is good, and Beirut do...14 years ago
-
-
-
-
-
-
Comic Book Links
-
A Musical Moment21 hours ago
-
-
Bloggin'1 year ago
-
-
-
Free Comic Book Day 20188 years ago
-
This Blog9 years ago
-
Stardoll 1: Secrets & Dreams13 years ago
-
I'm Just a Broadway Baby13 years ago
-
-
Media Blogs
-
Tennessee’s prisons chief is resigning after failed execution of Christa Pike, governor says - CNN - 1. Tennessee’s prisons chief is resigning after failed execution of Christa Pike, governor says CNN 2. Tennessee Commissioner Resigns After F...2 hours ago
-
Get professional coding tools and AI assistance for just $30 with this Microsoft deal - [image: Microsoft Visual Studio Professional 2026 Microsoft Visual Studio Professional 2026 Microsoft Visual Studio Professional 2026 Microsoft Visual Stud...3 hours ago
-
Best Federal Whistleblower Attorneys in D.C.: Five Firms to Know, Starting With Mundaca Law - Reporting misconduct inside a federal agency can put a career at risk, and the legal protections available are narrower and more deadline-driven than mos...3 days ago
-
Momouflage - “Back in the 70s when my mom could take a nap undisturbed because no one could find her.” The post Momouflage appeared first on AwkwardFamilyPhotos.com.1 week ago
-
Beste Online Casinos ohne LUGAS: Einsteigerleitfaden für sichere und spannende Spiele - Der Online-Casino-Markt boomt, und viele Spieler suchen nach Plattformen, die ein hohes Maß an Sicherheit und Datenschutz bieten. In diesem Leitfaden stell...2 months ago
-
FOUND WORD OTD: ACEHOOT - OOTHECA: an egg case of certain insects [n] Seen on a local farmer’s Instagram page, apparently this is the egg sac of a mantis? Wild. As for hooks, pl...11 months ago
-
Episode 326: The WGA Strike - One by one, Ken goes over the many issues the WGA is fighting for and why they’re important. He also gives an overview of the situation and how it might...3 years ago
-
The dopamine jail of joke Twitter - I’m home from vacation and the Planet Funny promotional engine is slowing down. (There’s still one last signing at Powell’s City of Books in two short week...8 years ago
-
Rex Smith: The spy who came in with a Trump tale - The phrase was chilling. Omitting the contemporary names, it evoked Cold War plots peopled with brusque patriots icily staring death in the face: “Ex-Spy G...9 years ago
-
2016 Emmy Awards – By The Rules - [image: emmys]Or as it should probably be known: the night that a broadcast network gives up three hours at the start of the season to honour cable and str...10 years ago
-
Mom Has Stacked Dinner Party Roster - GOLDEN, CO—Their eyes widening in amazement as the 43-year-old rattled off the names of heavy hitter after heavy hitter, impressed members of the Dreesh...10 years ago
-
Play reveals how Paul got Fixing a Hole from Mal Evans - The play "Beatle Mal," based on Beatles roadie Mal Evans, was performed for one night only in Liverpool, Sept 28th. In the play, it is revealed how Paul go...13 years ago
-
Week 17 NFL Picks - Last week’s 10 wins leaves me with 153 wins. Weak season. Sorry. Week 17 picks NFL Picks Away Home Chicago Detroit NY Jets Buffalo Tampa Bay Atlanta Caroli...13 years ago
-
Coverville Countdown 2012: Nominations Begin NOW! - It’s that time of year again! Time for you to nominate and vote for your favorite covers, and for me to spend the last few shows of the year to line them...13 years ago
-
Obama’s speech coverage on NPR - What were the people at NPR thinking? The coverage of President Obama’s speech on National Public Radio on Wednesday was just awful. I’ve never minded anal...15 years ago
-
-
-
Politics, Policy Blogs
-
'Historic Victory': Judge Blocks Trump's Big Bend Border Construction—For Now - A federal judge in El Paso on Friday temporarily blocked the Trump administration from continuing construction of border barriers, roads, and other infra...19 hours ago
-
New Film: “An Ordinary Insanity,” The Daniel Ellsberg Movie on the Nuclear Threat - Filmmaker Judith Ehrlich has done it again! Her 2009 film about Daniel Ellsberg, The Most Dangerous Man in America, was nominated for an Oscar. Now she is ...2 months ago
-
Mass job cuts on the horizon as Trump's economy backslides - On Tuesday, Amazon announced it is cutting 14,000 corporate jobs, becoming the latest major corporation to slash its workforce in the rapidly declining e...11 months ago
-
SLOT GACOR LGOLIVE YGGDRASIL GOLDEN FISHTANK 2 GIGABLOX - Pengen ngerasain sensasi main di akuarium penuh ikan warna-warni? Golden Fishtank 2 Gigablox dari Yggdrasil di LGOLIVE adalah slot gacor hari ini yang ba...1 year ago
-
2PP132 – 16 May 2020 - This episode was delayed, yet again, because Arthur didn’t have enough time. Anyway, here we are—were? Today’s chat was about the changes to New Zealand’s ...6 years ago
-
How to take care of your hair this winter - During cold weather, doing less to your hair will benefit it more.8 years ago
-
My New Venture: Top Flight Family - You may have noticed that you haven’t heard much from me lately. That’s because I’ve been quietly working on new passion of mine, a digital media startup o...10 years ago
-
First blog post - This is your very first post. Click the Edit link to modify or delete it, or start a new post. If you like, use this post to tell readers why you started t...10 years ago
-
‘I’m a verb’: An MTA worker responds to criticism of Leslie Jones’ Ghostbusters role - By Arturo R. García The most hopeful — and poignant — commentary surrounding Leslie Jones’… The post ‘I’m a verb’: An MTA worker responds to criticism of...10 years ago
-
10.15.15 MUSLIMS & TPP - This article originally appeared in the 10.15.15 issue of Metroland Buried under all the hoo-hah about the debates and Lamar Odom was a significant cour...10 years ago
-
The Long-term Consequences of WLS - Rich & Heather's Story - My name is Rich, but I may be better known to some of you as richie79 of the UK who used to post prolifically here on Big Fat Blog and elsewhere in the F...13 years ago
-
-
-
This Is Not A Joke - A new ball game - with tasers. Hat-tip : The Volokh Conspiracy According to The Daily Caller, Eric Prum, one of the founders of Ultimate Tak Ball, said, “I...14 years ago
-
THIS BLOG NOW MOVED. Follow the link below. Thank you! - THIS LINK TAKES YOU TO THE NEW SITE, SAME BLOG Please join me and subscribe over there. Thank you for following my work and writing.14 years ago
-
-
-
-
Websites to Which I Contribute
Page Rank
|
Check Page Rank of your Web site pages instantly: |
|
This page rank checking tool is powered by Page Rank Checker service |
Monday, September 11, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




7 comments:
(With apologies to the friends of Guy Fawkes)
Remember, remember
Eleven September.
the Fall of the Towers,
our Nation's resolve.
Corrupted by
the Liar's agenda,
his war in Iraq
dishonours us all.
A sharp tongue used on a sad day.
They still don't allow gay men to donate blood.
GayProf - that might be the saddest thing I've heard in a while. That's disgusting. God, what a country.
I posed a question about blood and gays on GP's site, whether entities other than the Red Cross allow donations and here's a response:
ROG & Gayprof: russian and Australia have both reversed thier blood donor policy and gay men are welcome once again - in the US, they are still trying to make sure gay men with AIDS don't come into the country so I am sure the donation policy will end at least by the time Buck Rogers appears in the 25th century.
I am dumbfounded to find out that gay men aren't allowed to donate blood.
I also wanted to say Roger that I agree with your comments about patriotism.
A United Methodist minister in my area named Joe Bradford (who I do not know) wrote this piece, which I believe he delivered on September 10, 2006, then shared on the Troy Conference of the UMC listserv. It's long, but I liked it:
Fear has been dominating our life since September 11th, 2001.
It has formed our thinking,
it has clouded our thinking,
it has influenced our way of going about life.
Last week Debbie was talking about all the things she was not allowed to take on an airplane.
I must, at this point, ask the question, why did it take all this time to realize this?
Perhaps because fear, as a tool of manipulation, is so powerful?
These days the talk has gotten to the point of being scary and straight out of the ideology Hitler used to persecute the Jews.
The other day I got an e-mail “explaining” why Muslims don’t make “good Americans”.
Hitler used the same tactic, successfully, in rallying the German people against a certain race and religion of people; the Jews.
Now Al Quida is being compared to Hitler as justification for prolonged war in Iraq that had nothing to do with 9/11!
We must resist the temptation to take the easy path of stereotyping or lumping all people in with a few bad ones.
But labeling people, whether on the local level or world wide level is easier than learning about them and trying to understand complex situations.
I read, on average, three or four books at a time trying to get more informed about world situations because I have come to realize that when politicians offer “easy” answers to complex situations – like 9/11 – we must resist the temptation to accept them.
The Saudi Arabians who hijacked the airplanes had been brain washed by a conservative religious zealot who had convinced them that all of America is evil.
There are inherently evil components to all systems devised by man – whether they be capitalism or Islam.
America’s excessively capitalistic ways of dealing with the rest of the world – “What can you do for me?” has turned many other countries off from dealing with us.
The portion of Islamics who justify killing is also corrupted from the original intent of that religion.
There is an old saying that perception is 80% of reality.
What that means is that if someone perceives something a certain way that will be “reality” to them – no matter how incorrect!
This negative perception, by some, has left us vulnerable and an easy target because we’re the biggest kid on the block.
The men who crashed those planes intentionally hit a symbol of American wealth and power – the WTC, the Pentagon – a symbol of America’s military dominance, and we can only assume that the last plane was destined for the White House or Capitol Building before the brave people on board took matters into their own hands.
Why would they aim at these targets?
Because America has become perceived, in other parts of the world, as a self centered bully.
We have thousands of military bases all over the world and hundreds more that are covert and undisclosed.
Military bases lead to our culture infiltrating the local culture, for bad or for good.
In strictly religious areas bars and prostitution has sprung up due to our military’s presence there.
On the other hand America helps more countries than any other in the world which should temper the anger of the few, but is overlooked.
If we look at who has attacked us
we find, interestingly, that the people we get our Oil from and have made Billions off of us
are the very people who attacked us – Saudi Arabians!
Now we are bombarded daily with media accounts of the dead in Iraq.
A country that had nothing to do with 9/11. President Bush said that last week!
Stories are starting to make their way onto the front page about Afghanistan again, which had everything to do with 9/11.
We are in a no-win situation in Iraq – we shouldn’t stay but we can’t leave and in Afghanistan the Taliban is making a return as Heroin sales increasing under their rule.
Yes, Poppies, where heroin is cultivated is the main cash crop of Afghanistan.
The whole thing just gets more and more evil, doesn’t it?
The more one knows about these things, the more frightening and sad it becomes.
So, how do we escape the fear that others, be they terrorists or politicians, (in some cases their methodology of death and destruction is very similar)are trying to use to manipulate us?
I would like to now tell you about something called “Restorative Justice” that can and has been used on a local level to help remove fear within communities.
Allow me now to put fear on a local level for us all.
Supposed someone breaks into the house next door to you.
If you were the person victimized, you would have many feelings – violation, anger, and fear.
Now you, as the next door neighbor, no longer feel safe and secure either.
That lone act can render an entire community apprehensive and afraid of everything that goes bump in the night.
The burglar, unlike terrorists, did not intend to frighten an entire neighborhood, they just stole something from one family or person.
But the consequences of their actions has a ripple effect that negatively effects all the surrounding area.
In certain areas of the world, American Corporations have left people with the impression that we are the burglars – taking what we want and leaving a mess behind.
This is not the doing of American citizens though.
It is the doings of those motivated by greed, profits, and power.
With Restorative Justice, the goal is to make the offender aware that they do not operate in a vacuum, that their actions negatively effected a great many people and for, potentially, a very long time.
Restorative Justice attempts to give a community a voice and allow them to regain a sense of control over their lives.
Many people who have been burglarized think that someone was stalking them for weeks or months, when in fact most burglars just drive to around looking for a home with the lights off, the garbage cans still out days after the trash has been collected or no dog to alert the neighbors of their presence.
Many in Virginia were strong supporters of having guns in their homes to prevent such situations.
But most armed robberies are done with the guns a former burglar stole from someone’s home.
Hence, a dog will protect your house when you are not there, a gun won’t do a thing if you’re not there to pull the trigger.
The entire point to Restorative Justice is to give victims a voice and a place at the table.
To help them restore their lives and vent their frustrations in a moderated arena.
It has also been shown to have great results in curtailing crime, particularly amongst vandalism crimes committed by youths.
Why have I tied 9/11 and Restorative Justice together?
Because our nation’s wounds of 9/11 are kept fresh by those vying for power in Washington DC.
One side says they are all about “keeping us safe” while cutting spending on national security behind closed doors, to try to balance the budget deficit Iraq has created.
The other group claims that the first group is not being honest, but then they themselves offer little to no alternative solutions to the many problems that confront us.
One way to curtail the threat of terrorism, in our world, is through communication, not killing and violence.
Killing and violence are the tools of terrorists.
How do we plan to eradicate terrorism by using the same tools?
The truthful answer is, “We can’t.”
Certainly we need to track down certain individuals, but terrorism, as a movement can only be stopped by giving future terrorists alternatives other than killing!
There are those who love to rattle the saber, but rarely put themselves in harm's way, who say that talking to terrorists is appeasement and should be avoided.
If we kill first and ask questions later, we will eventually have a world full of death, hatred, and mistrust.
If we open up dialogues with not only the terrorists, but with their potential recruits, giving the recruits a hope greater than suicidal death, then we minimize their efforts and effects on our world.
By showing Christian compassion for our “enemies”, we can best undermine the propaganda of terrorist recruiters.
I saw a T-shirt that said,
“Love Thy Enemies” strongly suggests that we not kill them!
Wanting to kill those who might do us harm originates from our fear of the unknown.
It would be very difficult to take seriously the claims of Al Quida that we are “the Great Satan” if we are supplying the needy of their lands with food, shelter and clothes.
We can only truly win the war on terror with compassion, not violence.
The Bible points out – violence begets violence.
Some think this approach naïve.
But if sitting down and talking works on a local level to lessen fear and help us all learn more about one another, why wouldn’t it work on a global scale?
The population of the world, after all, is made up of people, just like us.
Sure they are different colors, speak different languages, have different religions, but they all need food, shelter, clothing, and compassion.
The only way to save our world is through works of compassion which sow the seeds of trust and stamp out the Satanic tendencies of humanity towards disagreement, hatred, violence, and death.
Jesus died so that in situations like this, we would choose life not slavery to fear and not that which the world offers us as easy solutions to very difficult problems.
Post a Comment