My Blog List

People I Know

Eclectic Folks

Media Blogs

Politics, Policy Blogs

Page Rank

Check Page Rank of your Web site pages instantly:

This page rank checking tool is powered by Page Rank Checker service

Friday, November 02, 2007

Follow Up

Since today is my fifth semianniversary (or is demi, or maybe hemi?), but in any case, 2.5 years, I thought I'd write a little about things I've written about in the (usually recent) past.
***
If you listen to Gordon's podcast where he answers questions, you'll hear me asking him some irreverent question about Raymond Burr, inspired, no doubt by a picture of Burr as Ironside on Gordon's blog a couple weeks back. It made sense at the time.
***
The scariest Halloween costume I saw was this woman dressed up as a baby, all in pink, smoking a cigarette. Truly frightening.

Ken Levine wrote: "We had a dentist who gave out toothbrushes [for Halloween]. Thank goodness he wasn't a proctologist."
***
In the Supreme Court stay of execution this week, the lawyers for the defendant said, "It is clear that irreparable harm will result if no stay is granted." Well, yeah. If a lawyer says it, it's legalese; if anyone else had said it, it'd be d'oh-worthy.
***
I've mentioned more than once about why I left the Methodist church I had been attending for over 17 years, of which I was a member for most of that time. Now, it's come out that the pastor, who was at least in the center of my departure, has retired, and not willingly; here's a letter from an apologist of his. My wife and I had to at least briefly think about what this meant to us. We're happy where we are, but we do miss some of the folks at the old place. What made it easy for me, though, was hearing about some internecine fight over whether someone who opposed the pastor should now chair the Pastor-Parish Relations Committee. And I realize that I don't miss the grief.
***
My sister Leslie wrote to me: "San Diego has been hit hard, thousands of homes lost, I could see the fire from outside my front door, so we were packed up and ready to go in the event of an evacuation, but thank God, we were spared."

***
Yeah, I'm happy that the Red Sox won; I picked them to win in six. The TV grid for the FOX network said the game was in a three-hour slot, but the games didn't even start until 8:30 Eastern Time, and they all ran more than 3 hours. I'm thrilled by the sweep, because it means more sleep. I'd watch the game as long as I could stay alert, then record on the DVR programing up through 1:30 a.m., then wake up and watch in the morning. The key to watching the playback is to make sure that when I turn off the TV, to set it first to some non-sports station that does not have morning news; I recommend the Home & Garden Network.
I'm still in shock that Boston College beat Virginia Tech last week; I tuned in with five minutes to go, and BC was losing 0-10, so I figured the curse of the 2nd place BCS team was holding. I couldn't believe it when the FOX baseball announcer said that they had won 14-10.
But my Boston rooting does not extend to the NFL Patriots, though I can't explain why; it predates the Bellicheck cheating incident. I'm rooting for the 7-0 Colts to beat the 8-0 Pats this weekend. Can we have a 16-0 team and a 0-16 team (Miami) in the same season?

Confirmation of my feelings about the Cleveland Indians mascot.
***
Yes, I know that an Albany guy appeared on Jeopardy! last week; I haven't seen it, I haven't read about it, so please don't tell me about it.
***
Smashing pumpkins on the ground
Makes bicycling difficult, I've found.

All of the US State Laws Concerning Bicycling.

Info about Critical Mass bike rides in Tucson (several posts) and here in Albany (October 29).


Cranksgiving! Race start: 9pm, Nov 17; registration/sign-up starts 8:30pm
A charity race where ALL the $$ goes to direct action. The Homeless Action Committee is on the streets doing work night after night. You WILL NEED a lock and a bag for this one. Ride any uni or bike or trike you like; as long as it's got wheels and pedals and is you-powered, it's all good. You will not be turned away for excess spandex or your lack of white belts.
Pre-registration via email to soze@fork-bomb.com is encouraged for planning purposes.
***
Re: me feeling autumnal - The Stress Pig - Open the link, turn on the sound (but not too high) then, JUST CLICK ON HER NOSE. She may come in handy when you are having one of those days.
***
My prayers/good wishes go out to ADD and to Gordon's mom.


ROG

No comments: