My Blog List

People I Know

Eclectic Folks

Media Blogs

Politics, Policy Blogs

Page Rank

Check Page Rank of your Web site pages instantly:

This page rank checking tool is powered by Page Rank Checker service

Thursday, August 07, 2008

Walk-Off Balk


There's this fun website Win Expectancy Finder that determines the likelihood that a baseball team with a lead of X in the Y inning is likely to win the game.

I discovered it in a conversation in salon about one game in which a team with a five-run lead in the sixth inning stole a base. The losing team seemed to think that this was somehow unsporting and (allegedly) threw at a subsequent batter. The WEF shows that a team with a one-run lead in the eighth inning was statistically more likely to win the game than the team in the first scenario, yet no one would chastise a team up 3-2 to try to pad its lead.
***
I have a Google alert for Roger Green. What I get a lot of is the Brett Favre drama, with NFL commissioner ROGER Goodell arbitrating between Favre and the GREEN Bay Packers.
***
I understand why teams play preseason football games. What I don't know is why anyone WATCHES them, let alone thinks they're significant. It's August; football weather requires at least a sweater. At least when they play hockey in June - another anomaly in my mind - it means something.
***
Synchronized librarians.
***
I haven't tried it yet, but I'm intrigued by this guy who you call up and he writes your life story. On a postcard. Any of you done this?
***
We had an intern this summer, and she said that this website "captures the essence of Roger". I think that's good thing.
***
It pains me, it really does, for tI used to ban the very mention of her name from this blog: I've begun to see Paris Hilton in a more positive light.
***
Local artists make good. Including one I know.
***
The Psychology of Color.


ROG

3 comments:

Gary ("Old Dude") said...

I have heard rumors that the synchronized librarians drill team will be participating in the Pasadena "Doo-Dah" parade this year, any truth to that?

Gary (aka old dude)
http://threescoreplusten.blogspot.com/

Onlinefocus Team said...

I've had to dramatically revise my opinion of Ms Hilton.

But was it her idea, do you think , Roger?

Roger Owen Green said...

Gary- for an old dude, you're pretty funny.
Chris- interesting question. But even if it was all written, she played it well