My Blog List

People I Know

Eclectic Folks

Media Blogs

Politics, Policy Blogs

Page Rank

Check Page Rank of your Web site pages instantly:

This page rank checking tool is powered by Page Rank Checker service

Saturday, October 15, 2005

Three Office Questions

Since les Browns Chris and Kelly already have their Friday questions, I figure I'll do mine on Saturdays now.

I watched the TV show "The Office" this week (as usual, in the recorded mode, not in real time). I enjoy it quite a bit. They played Island this and that, so I figured, What the heck?

1. What are your five island movies? And why?

Mine are:
a) Annie Hall. Fair amount of this movie has happened in my life, so if you don't like the choice, la dee dah, la dee dah.
b) Groundhog Day. Not only is it an intelligent comedy with a JEOPARDY segment, its premise that every day is like the next is eventually broken will give me hope on the island.
c) West Side Story. Another island story: "I like the isle of Manhattan."
Those three were in my profile. Hmm.
d) Being There: If Peter Sellers' Chance the gardener can become an advisor to the President and please Shirley McLaine's character just by watching television, there's hope for us on this wretched island.
e) Toy Story 2: That conflict between past and present is wonderful.

2. What are your three island books? And why?

Mine are:
a) The Bible, probably the Revised Standard Version, and not only because it's long.
b) The World Almanac, because I can read about the facts and figures of the rest of the world, trying to keep my mind sharp on this desolate isle.
c) Joel Whitburn's Top Pop Albums 1955-2001, because I find it endlessly fascinating. If I don't have music on the island, perhaps I can recreate it in my head.

3. What is your favorite waste of time at work?

Taking those "urgent" e-mails that people send me and try to find out if they are true. In fact, I think I'll write about one tomorrow.

BONUS QWESTION: There was a third question on "The Office", which you can answer, if you'd like. I won't ask it, and I won't answer it, though.

2 comments:

Gordon D said...

Well, hey, I might as well chime in with my choices:

1. What are your five island movies? And why?

a) A Hard Day's Night - the best rock'n'roll movie ever made
b) The Third Man - an intelligent noir-ish thriller that is solidly made.
c) Animal Crackers - gotta have the Marx Brothers
d) Blues Brothers - the greatest Chicago movie ever made
e) Zero Effect - Sherlock Holmes for the 21st Century.

2. My three island books are

a) Early Autumn by Robert B. Parker - it's half mystery, half coming-of-age story
b) Bartlett's Book of Quotations - have to stay intelligent, you know
c) The Glass Teat by Harlan Ellison - that way, I wouldn't miss television

3. Favorite waste of time at work: making coffee and sharpening pencils.

(Oh, and the "who would I do" question - too many candidates to count)

Anonymous said...

Hey there-
Great minds... I own just a few movies, one of which is Being There, love it that much. I watch Groundhog Day every time it's on TV- which is a lot!

I also own Hannah and Her Sisters, Sabrina (the original, with Audrey and Bogie and Holden), Young Frankenstein, The Fisher King, Moonstruck, Caddyshack (another brilliant Bill Murray performance) and Sleepless in Seattle. I can watch any of those films over and over and over again!

My island books:
1) Gone With the Wind ("Scarlett O'Hara was not beautiful, but men seldom realized it when caught by her charm...")
2) The Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test (memorized the phony review at the front of the book from Terry Southern: "Tom Wolfe is a groove and a gas. People should send him money and other fine things. Hats off to Tom Wolfe!")
3) Control of Communicable Diseases Manual (editor: Chin)
There isn't a day that goes by that I don't consult this beautiful little volume, on and off the job (bought my own copy for home).

This was fun- thanks!