My Blog List

People I Know

Eclectic Folks

Media Blogs

Politics, Policy Blogs

Page Rank

Check Page Rank of your Web site pages instantly:

This page rank checking tool is powered by Page Rank Checker service

Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Why I Own Three (count 'em, 3) Paula Abdul Albums

I was at the Olin family reunion; the Olins are my wife's mother's people. They were having their international family event, which they have every lustrum. In 2001, the event was held in my hometown of Binghamton, NY. (The 1996 event was in Fargo, ND; the 2006 in eastern Washington state; 2011, somewhere in Ontario.)

One event was an auction. Many of the items were handmade items, or family treasures; I know Carol got a much-coveted family cookbook with typed or hand-written recipes from various members of the tribe. One lot, though, was for a bunch of mostly classical CDs, maybe 10 or 12 of them. I bid on them, but I was outbid by one of Carol's cousins in her late teens. Truth is I probably could have put in a pre-emptive bid, but it didn't seem sporting to overbid a poor high school student. She was really happy to get a dozen classical albums for $20, but what the heck was she going to do with three Paula Abdul CDs? She looked SO pained, so apoplectic, that I bought them from her, for $8 or $10, which she appreciated at a couple levels: she was rid of the albatross AND the albums she REALLY want were even cheaper.

I was recalling this as I finished my annual playing of my entire collection of Paula Abdul albums - Forever Your Girl, Shut Up and Dance (The Dance Remixes), and Spellbound, in anticipation of today, Paula's 45th birthday. I don't care what you say: I really like Straight Up. The rest of it: eh, not so much. I didn't really go through a phase of eighties divas - Paula, Taylor, Madonna, Expose, and Gloria - like some people I know.
***
I've had a long-standing affection for the Traveling Wilburys and have Volumes 1 and 3, now out of print. I'm having a hard time thinking about buying the re-release, despite Nik's appealing review. So, I decided to go to You Tube and watch a couple videos, including the star-laden Wilbury Twist, at lunchtime yesterday. But by 9 p.m. EDT yesterday, the Twist video that I saw only hours earlier was "no longer available due to a copyright claim by Warner Music Group"; it's part of the new collection. However, what remains on You Tube is the 2007 version, with more George, Bob, Tom, and Jeff. No Wonder Years kids, Milli Vanilli, Cheech Marin, Whoopi Goldberg, or Woody Harrelson, but the John Candy/Eric Idle intro remains.
***
A link to reviews of Paul McCartney's new album, Memory Almost Full. A couple of them have links to the music and/or videos from the album.

ROG

No comments: