1. Go to http://www.careercruising.com/.
2. Put in Username: nycareers, Password: landmark.
3. Take their "Career Matchmaker" questions.
4. Post the top ten results.
Here now the results:
1. Lobbyist - not gonna happen.
2. Actor - "To be, or whatever." Haven't even been in a local production since 1985, when I was the hard-drinking Simon Stimpson in a production of Our Town.
3. Tour Guide - actually, I could do that.
4. Librarian - hmm, maybe I should consider that...
5. Criminologist -really? I've only seen CSI once.
6. Dental Assistant - the idea of flossing others doesn't really appeal to me.
7. Professor - I've taught one session of one business course a few times, but as a full-time gig, I don't know.
8. Anthropologist - Could be interesting.
9. Comedian - This IS funny. If there is one of these I'm TOTALLY unqualified for, it's this. I can be funny, but I have no capacity for jokes. On the other hand, if I were on a sitcom, playing it straight, maybe.
10. Communications Specialist - I could do that.
Actually, the next 10 seem to be more on target:
12. Casting Director
14. Public Policy Analyst
15. Political Aide
16. Print Journalist
19. Library Technician
Oh, what the heck. The next 20:
21. Market Research Analyst
24. Special Effects Technician
25. Public Relations Specialist
26. Airline Customer Service Agent
27. Career Counselor
31. Customer Service Representative - been there, done that
32. Religious Worker
34. Community Worker
35. Funeral Director
36. Nail Technician
37. Foreign Service Officer
40. Clergy - the only one on this part of the list I actually ever considered doing, other than the one I've already one.
Interestingly, I added my education and skills and the list changed somewhat.
A Very Good Match
B Good Match
C Fair Match
D Questionable Match
F Poor Match
1. Lobbyist B
2. Actor B
3. Tour Guide C
4. Criminologist B
5. Librarian B
6. Anthropologist B
7. Professor B
8. Comedian B
9. Communications Specialist A
10. Activist B
11. Casting Director B
12. Critic A
13. Public Policy Analyst B
14. Political Aide B
15. Writer A
16. Print Journalist B
17. Musician D
18. Translator C
19. Market Research Analyst B
20. Composer D
21. Special Effects Technician C
22. Public Relations Specialist B
23. Career Counselor A
24. Dancer C
25. Customer Service Representative B
26. Religious Worker A
27. Community Worker B
28. Foreign Service Officer B
29. Director B
30. Clergy A
31. Sport Psychology Consultant A
32. Foreign Language Instructor C
33. ESL Teacher B - what my wife does
34. Rehabilitation Counselor A
35. Politician A
36. Psychologist A
37. Corporate / Commercial Lawyer A
38. Historian B
39. Lawyer B - which I did consider, once upon a time
40. Civil Litigator B
So maybe my next career will be communication specialist/writer/critic/clergy. Any jobs in that field?
Elvis has left the building
16 hours ago