My Blog List

People I Know

Eclectic Folks

Media Blogs

Politics, Policy Blogs

Page Rank

Check Page Rank of your Web site pages instantly:

This page rank checking tool is powered by Page Rank Checker service

Monday, April 07, 2008

Just Another Manic Monday

The NCAA final's tonight. After UCLA lost on Saturday to Memphis, I figured I was destined for 6th or 7th place in my 9-person grouping. But when UNC lost to Kansas, that locked me into 3rd, behind the only person to pick Kansas to win the final, and it doesn't matter if Kansas wins or not. Congrats, Susan.
***
When I heard Charlton Heston died this weekend, three quotes IMMEDIATELY jumped to mind:
"Take your stinking paws off of me, you damn dirty ape!" (66th on the AFI list of great movie quotes)
"Soylent green is..." (77th on the list)
and the one that my wife, of all people, actually parodied without having read Mark Evanier.
I really appreciated his sense of humor at his own expense when I saw him on Saturday Night Live. And I did see him in a LOT of movies, including:
Bowling for Columbine (2002)
Town & Country (2001)
True Lies (1994)
Earthquake (1974) [the "shake" half of "the shake 'n bake movies"; "bake was "The Towering Inferno"]
The Four Musketeers (1974)
Airport 1975 (1974)
The Three Musketeers (1973)
the aforementioned Soylent Green (1973)
Beneath the Planet of the Apes (1970) - I saw all five PotA movies in one day; not recommended
the aforementioned Planet of the Apes (1968) at least twice
The Greatest Story Ever Told (1965) multiple viewings on TV
El Cid (1961)
Ben-Hur (1959)
The Ten Commandments (1956) I saw him playing Moses on TV probably a half dozen times
The Greatest Show on Earth (1952)
While I chafed at his NRA position, I do remember that he was very active in the civil rights movement for a time. So, goodbye, Chuck; maybe you'll meet Moses and compare notes.


ROG

1 comment:

Anthony said...

Upon hearing of Heston's passing the first thing that came to mind was his penchant for the biblical and the apocalyptic. After this I thought of the uncomfortable scene in Bowling for Columbine where Moore interviews/confronts Heston. Heston was not in his finest form and so it felt the Moore was exploiting the situation, which ironically undermined his intentions in that scene.