My Blog List

People I Know

Eclectic Folks

Media Blogs

Politics, Policy Blogs

Page Rank

Check Page Rank of your Web site pages instantly:

This page rank checking tool is powered by Page Rank Checker service

Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Perspectives

Item: I stopped at the nearby Price Chopper grocery store on the way home Friday night to pick up a handful of items, including a dozen apples. The apples were in the plastic bag I got from the produce section, and I was using the "ring-it-up-yourself" section of the checkout counter. Just after I had rung up the apples, the bag broke, with the apples scattering. Some young woman behind me kindly helped me pick them up, saying, "Don't worry, I'm clean."
Her perspective: She was either kidding OR she was assuring me that she didn't have some skin-borne disease.
My perspective: Assuming she wasn't kidding, and she didn't appear to be, just what diseases was she talking about? I wasn't worried about her, since she had self-certified her cleanliness, but should I be worried about others? I do wash the fruit in case there are pesticides or the like, but is that enough? As Paul Simon said, "Paranoia strikes deep in the heartland."

Item: On Saturday, Carol went to a retreat, so I took Lydia to the state museum. On the fourth floor was a carousel, which we rode twice. There's also, of all things, a Subway sandwich stand. We got a "meal deal" which we split, that included a couple cookies. I asked, "Is there any peanut butter..." The sales clerk said, "I'm sorry we don't carry any."
Her perspective: She thinks I'm disappointed that there are no peanut butter cookies.
My perspective: I wanted to make sure that there weren't any peanut butter cookies because Lydia is allergic to peanut butter.

Item: Drivers are driving less on the Thruway, the Interstate system that runs from New York City to Kingston to Albany (I-87) then Albany to Utica to Syracuse to Rochester to Buffalo (I-90).
My perspective: Ah, less wear and tear on the roads. Good for them.
The Thruway Authority's perspective: we'd better raise the rates 5% in January 2009, and another 5% in 2010. And while we're at it, we'll lower the E-Z Pass discount from 10% to 5% starting in June 2008.
The governor's, the legislature's and the public's perspective: Outrage.

Item: John McCain goes to Selma, Alabama where on March 7, 1965, peaceful civil rights demonstrators were attacked by state and local lawmen.
McCain's stated perspective: "I'm aware of the fact that there will be many people who will not vote for me. But I'm going to be the president of all the people and I will work for all of the people and I will listen to all of the people, whether they decide to vote for me or not."
My perspective: I remember Selma '65 quite well, since it occurred on my 12th birthday. As the Democrats continue to fight, my sense that McCain will win the general election, no matter who the Democratic nominee is, grows stronger by the day.

ROG

4 comments:

GayProf said...

McCain also really, really, really wants people to forget that he voted against the federal holiday honoring Martin Luther King, Jr.

Kelly Sedinger said...

I think McCain is extremely beatable, but it will really help if the Democratic race ends soon so that their attacks on him can start to gain some traction.

Roger Owen Green said...

Let me make it clear: I don't WANT McCain to win. I just think that the Dems are beating each up so much that McCain can appear..."Presidential". If the conservative Republicans bite their tongue and vote for Johnny Mac, no sure thing, then the party of the donkey could grasp defeat from the jaws of victory. Again.
And with Clinton and Obama with roughly half the vote, I just don't see Barack voters coming out, and working for Hillary in the fall, or vice versa. I'd be happy to be wrong.

Nik said...

I'm amazed at the kid gloves shown in the coverage of McCain so far (as if he's the crusty yet loveable grandpa on some TV sitcom). It's all become so much about personality - and McCain does have an amazing personal story - that the political coverage is completely buried. Can't think the last time I actually SAW a substantial series of stories covering the candidates' positions on issues, actually... Quite sad.