MY PRIMARY BLOG

My Blog List

People I Know

Eclectic Folks

Media Blogs

Politics, Policy Blogs

Page Rank

Check Page Rank of your Web site pages instantly:

This page rank checking tool is powered by Page Rank Checker service

Wednesday, August 03, 2005

Blog Mixed Bag CD Review-Gordon

NAME: Gordon Dymowski
BLOG NAME: Blog This, Pal!
NAME OF CD: Non-Stop Hit Parade
NUMBER OF CUTS: 26
RUNNING TIME: 79:11
COVER ART: Clever (that picture of Ricky Gervais from The Office apparently dancing scares me)
SONG LIST: His post of June 7
ALREADY REVIEWED BY:
GENERAL THOUGHTS: He noted in an e-mail that was a "pretty conservative - some alternative/rock with one reggae song". I really liked the first half dozen tunes, which really rocked. And indeed, the first ten are excellent. The Futurama song seems to be palate cleanser for the second half. These songs are also pretty fine, and indeed from Bow Wow Wow to the Easybeats especially well programmed. Oh, and I LIKED the outro track, possibly because I thought it was SUPPOSED to sound tinny.
THINGS I PARTICULARLY LOVED: Echobelly (I love women who rock, and that "Penny Lane" sounding bridge.) Picked a fairly obscure Monkees tune. The Brian Wilson song is a great ending.
ON THE OTHER HAND: There was no half hour speech by Dan Quayle, as he had promised in the e-mail. Oh, he was kidding! Never mind.
OFFICE FRIENDLY: I'd skip by MC Chris
ONLY VAGUELY RELATED: My wife thinks that Steve Winwood is this lightweight performer, based on his 1980s output. "I'm a Man" was playing, and I think he'll get a reassessment.

2 comments:

Gordon D said...

Roger,

Thanks for the great review - I know a lot of people who dismiss Winwood's work with Spencer Davis Group, only because he did a Ray Charles impersonation on the eternally-played "Gimme Some Lovin'"

Track down a greatest hits - "I'm A Man" and "Keep On Runnin'" are hits that should have been.

Gordon

Roger Owen Green said...

Gordon- I have a Winwood box set, has a lot of early stuff from Spencer Davis (Keep on Runnin' is one of my Top 10 favorite songs of ALL TIME.)