You still have until 11:59 p.m. tomorrow to ask me questions about ANYTHING that I promise to answer. But given that baseball's post-season (or "second season", as FOX likes to put it) starts tonight, I feel compelled to answer one of the questions now:
Our first contestant is a scooting gentleman named Scott: Who do you think is going to win the World Series this year? I have no idea, except that it won't be the San Diego Padres. Next question.
Actually, I've been working on a Goldilocks theory, in terms of peaking teams. Too early and the team has a chance of being flat in the post-season. Too late and the team will have used up all of its energy just to get to the post season. Just right teams have been tested, but have a chance to put their pitching in order.
American League:
EAST: New York Yankees- used a lot of energy just to win the division in Game 161
CENTRAL: Chicago White Sox- limped to their division title, more as a result of Cleveland's collapse than anything. They alnmost blew the 15-game lead they had on August 1.
WEST: Anaheim Angels (yeah, I know what they're really called)- seems just right. A good competitive race with Oakland, but resolved before the last week of the season.
WILD CARD: Boston, clinches on the final day. At least they don't have to do a playoff game against Cleveland.
NYY vs. the LAA: Yankee pitching too inconsistent. Pick: the Angels.
CWS vs. Bosox: as beat up as Boston is, I think Chicago is going down. Pick: the Red Sox.
LAA vs. BoSox: This is a rerun of the 1986 series that went VERY badly for the Angels, after being within a few outs of the World Series. Redemption, finally. Pick: the Angels.
National League:
EAST: Atlanta Braves- had a terrible beginning of the season but surged into first place. Peaked a little early, but to their credit continued to play solid baseball.
CENTRAL: St. Louis Cardinals- WAY too big a lead early, cruised home.
WEST: San Diego Padres - they're a .500 team, fer cryin' out loud.
WILD CARD: Houston staves off Philadelphia.
ATL vs. Astros: Probably the best matchup of the four in the first round. I thought Houston would do better in the season because of their pitching, and in a short series, pitching's even more important. But the Braves have pitching, too, and they're more rested. Pick: the Braves.
Cards vs. Padres: St. Louis is flat, but not so flat that they can't beat the Fathers. Pick: the Cards.
ATL vs. STL: As much as I would prefer St. Louis, I feel that it will be the superior depth of the other team. Pick: Atlanta.
World Series:
Atlanta beats the Angels in 6 or 7. Atlanta wins a WS in a year ending in 5 again.
Note that this isn't what I WANT to happen, this is what I think WILL happen. I really don't like the Braves. I think it's that "America's Team" schtick they have because they're broadcast on TBS. That and the Tomahawk chop.
And while I'm talkin' baseball: I have no pick for the AL MVP- A-Rod, Papi, they both have decent credentials. But for the NL MVP my pick is the pride of Curacao, the favorite player of every Little Leaguer from the island this year, Andruw Jones of the aforementioned Atlanta. He carried the team when Chipper and othes were hurt. I was watching the game many years ago when Bobby Cox pulled Andruw Jones IN THE MIDDLE OF AN INNING for his failure to hustle. The man has definitely grown up.
What are YOUR World Series picks?
(Aside to Fred, No, you can't pick the Mets.)
MY PRIMARY BLOG
My Twitter
My Blog List
-
It takes a lot of practice - A friend asked: “If you had the chance to ask three different people (living or dead, famous or not) ONE question… who and what would you ask?” The one req...5 years ago
-
Teach the Young: A Frank-ly Kind Act - This story was brought to my attention by our esteemed alumnus, Roger Green. This is the story of youngsters thwarted in their initial forays into small bu...6 years ago
-
Faded road markings cause concern - Q: Can someone at New York state tell me why the DOT doesn’t use a better reflective paint when the lines are painted? It appears the paint used has no ref...7 years ago
-
FTC-IRS Initiative Aims to Make it Easier for Consumers to Report Tax-Related Identity Theft - The Federal Trade Commission and the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) are teaming up to make it easier for consumers to report tax-related identity theft an...8 years ago
-
Double and last - Hi all members of our ABC-Wednesday-family. This will be the last birthdaypost on this url... because in 2 days ABC Wednesday will move to http://abcwed...9 years ago
-
Your Signed Books and Artwork Just Got Harder to Sell in California - From Eureka Booksellers On September 9, 2016, California Governor Jerry Brown signed AB1570 Collectibles: Sale of Autographed Memorabilia into law. The ...10 years ago
-
Alan Moore's Twilight Proposal - Introduction by Alan David Doane: Honestly I didn't intend the irony, but this week's FMF, looking at Alan Moore's never-published Twilight proposal, also ...14 years ago
-
-
People I Know
-
Developing the World’s Most Sustainable Energy Systems: How SUNY Innovation Captured Nine DOE Genesis Mission Grants - Written by: Matthew J. Sheiffer The U.S. Department of Energy’s GENESIS Program is a major research initiative designed to accelerate breakthrough energy...3 weeks ago
-
MAGAt Fear - While it’s true that some MAGAmericans are simply stupid, I have a different perspective regarding the most of them: *They're scared.* Humans are not ...1 year ago
-
Tottenham vs Eintracht Frankfurt 11/04/2025: Cuộc chiến căng thẳng tại London - Trận đấu giữa Tottenham vs Eintracht Frankfurt 11/04/2025 hứa hẹn sẽ là một cuộc đối đầu đầy kịch tính và hấp dẫn. Với sự cạnh tranh khốc liệt ở cả hai giả...1 year ago
-
In memoriam: Jan Galligan - I am posting a link to Jan Galligan's online obituary for any and all who may have known him or read the items published here that he contributed to. RIP...1 year ago
-
Concert Review: Bassekou Kouyate and Ngoni Ba at UPH 2/16/24 - When Bassekou Kouyate asked “Are you happy?” at Universal Preservation Hall Friday, he knew the answer. Everybody was, both in the audience and onstage. ...2 years ago
-
Freezing Cold March For Dr. King - Plus the politicized Census, police hiring shortfalls, ornamental apple trees and the mayor’s image cloaking device6 years ago
-
Eagle Scout Project - Rutherford neighbor Krish Soni is getting started on his Eagle Scout project on Saturday, October 26. He will be labeling storm drains in the neighborhood ...6 years ago
-
February Thaw - My friend Phil and I have a tradition of meeting outside his building and going for a walk around his block once a month. Last Wednesday was a great day fo...8 years ago
-
Kellyanne Conway named UAlbany graduation commencement speaker - Kellyanne Conway, the pollster who organized the election campaign of President Donald Trump, has been named by the University at Albany to be its keynote ...9 years ago
-
Do You Write About Comics? - Trouble With Comics is looking for new voices. Please help us find them.11 years ago
-
We’re Off On An Adventure! - Just now, Marge and I are doing a bit of adventuring. The next adventure will include a whole new online reality and presence for me and my work… See you i...11 years ago
-
It Changes - Living with Lupus and Fibro and Asthma is often not so much 'one day at a time.' It is much more like one fifteen minute segment of time - at at time. This...13 years ago
-
Goodbye, goodbye, goodbye… - Well, kids, this is it. I’m leaving first thing tomorrow morning. My visits home will be few and far between, and when they happen, they’ll be exclusive...13 years ago
-
-
Spring is here? - As far as the pro peloton goes, it’s on! I watched the Tour of Flanders today, and it was one of the best races I’ve ever seen. “Looking back, you get a b...15 years ago
-
Modern Types-Ronald Searle,Geoffrey Gorer - With the recent attention given to Ronald Searle's 90th birthday and new interview,I decided to look at one of his books. The book is titled Modern Ty...16 years ago
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
Eclectic Folks
-
September ends well - Today’s the last day of September 2026, and it was a good one—and this is a much more positive month’s end than *the end of July was.* This is because I ac...1 day ago
-
When Engineers Built Jumper Cables and Bombs: The High-Stakes Utility of Classic PvP Crafting - This guide delves into the intricate world of classic PvP crafting, focusing on the engineering behind jumper cables and bombs. Understanding the mechani...4 days ago
-
What Changes for Physicians Under Rocket Doctor’s New Network Agreement - The practical effect of Rocket Doctor’s August 18 provider network deal falls first on the physicians using the platform, not […]1 week ago
-
The Journey Part Eight: Transitioning - Last time we were together we were in the ER, where Entrepreneur had been brought in after suffering a serious brain bleed. After consulting with the docto...2 weeks ago
-
oblong (and a bit about ovals) - Ben Zimmer forwarded me this post from Threads, in which the writer Ruth Ware finds a transatlantic difference between AmE and BrE interpretations of *ob...4 weeks ago
-
-
AmeriNZ 426 – Success story - Today is a coincidence of twenty-sixes—though that’s not important, of course. In the time since the previous episode, I completed the first part of my dec...3 months ago
-
NYC, July 3, 1981 - Brunch in my friend’s back gardenWe sipped mimosasLingered over lemon sconesStuffing our faces, coffee strongstiffsteamingThe scent of patchouli streamingA...3 months ago
-
Auntie Dot & Uncle Moss - Auntie Dot and Uncle Moss. Auntie Dot and Uncle Moss met through work. They both worked on the buses. Uncle Moss was a driver and Auntie Dot was a condu...8 months ago
-
100 Words – Liturgy as Cosmology - Once when I finished Morning Prayer, with it’s rhythm of prayers, Scripture, and song, the Spirit whispered to my heart, “You just participated in the hear...8 months ago
-
23 Down. - 23 years ago, on October 24, I started this here blog. I don't post to it regularly anymore, but I hate to see it go completely dead, so happy blogavers...11 months ago
-
This is The End (a follow-up) - I wrote yesterday about my possibly retiring this space in favor of migrating all of my blogging to ForgottenStars.net, because of Reasons. I am now pul...4 years ago
-
The long, LONG saga of Mia's new chair - I've been wanting to write about Mia's new chair for a while, because it's something that we hope will help her out a lot. However, I didn't want to write ...7 years ago
-
Tough Day - A few weeks ago, I turned 38, and I am still under the scrutiny of strangers in public. One would think that once you're out of grade school, middle school...8 years ago
-
-
Retro Y'all - Been doing a lot of jumping lately, but feel I don't have much to show for it. Oh well. At least I'm still getting my clothes on the right way. Seriously...8 years ago
-
Spring is in the air. - After a few wonderful, sunny days we are back to a somewhat grey and rainy day. Yesterday all doors back and front, were open all day long. The central he...8 years ago
-
U is for UNDER and UP - I had no idea what to post for this week's celebration of the letter *U*. It took a lot of looking through all my photos to come *UP* with an idea. So ...8 years ago
-
Song of the Week: "Whispering Your Name" - I just got this into my head a while back. This is Alison Moyet, from her 1994 album *Essex*, one of my favorite albums which I discovered because of Becca...9 years ago
-
No parallel - Get a good look at these: Whence they came: After seeing that incredible glow-in-the-dark Zac Posen dress that Claire Danes wore at the 2016 Met Gala, Lori...9 years ago
-
ABC Wednesday: The Importance of Being Bored - When I was growing up, you being bored was your problem that you were responsible to rectify. As children we learned never to be bored- or at least not t...9 years ago
-
Parenting Tips - Posting for the first time in a while to share some parenting advice. So last year, one of my twin daughters mocked a handicapped kid at school, grabbed a ...9 years ago
-
Save Up to Half! - This has got to be my new favorite classic comic book ad. Accordions? Was there a really enough demand for accordions to place a half-page ad in, of all th...9 years ago
-
Happy Purim!!!! - My rendition of The Purim Somg by Alison Faith Levy. Here is Alison! Visit her website alisonfaithlevy.com10 years ago
-
Berowne's 294 - (Also for Three Word Wednesday and ABC Wednesday: "S" is for "shrewish") No quiz this week. Instead I got to thinking about the enigmatic play we dealt w...10 years ago
-
A phony and a failure - After watching part of the clown show the other night it's a safe bet none of these guys or girl is capable of running anything. It looked more like a...11 years ago
-
Age is a State of Mind, Somewhere Near Nebraska - What a year it has been! After surviving the odometer rolling over to 40, I had a year of sabbatical. That gave me plenty of time to think about my mid-lif...11 years ago
-
The End of a Long Day - You know those days where all you really want to do is change into your pajamas and curl up on the couch while you decide which comfort food would mak...12 years ago
-
Choosing Blogs To Comment On For Effective Backlinks And Networking - Choosing a blog to comment on should never be taken lightly. These tips will help you make the most of your time and effectiveness of your backlinks. Th...12 years ago
-
#Freaking Out -AND! - Calmly completely freaking out about my move. AND! I quit smoking. I feel this qualifies me to have an opinion on how to do it. So I am calmly completel...13 years ago
-
Gaze Upon My Works and Snicker, Part 53. - [image: DP700-F365028] Another quickie sketch at work, because I wanted to draw Pandora A in a white fuzzy hat (no, I don't know the name for them) and a b...13 years ago
-
Year in Review: My favorite music of 2011 - It's that time of year, so here my picks for my favorite music of 2011, in alphabetical order: Beirut, “The Rip Tide” Sometimes sad is good, and Beirut do...14 years ago
-
-
-
-
-
-
Comic Book Links
-
How To Make Movies For 25 Years16 hours ago
-
-
Bloggin'1 year ago
-
-
-
Free Comic Book Day 20188 years ago
-
This Blog9 years ago
-
Stardoll 1: Secrets & Dreams13 years ago
-
I'm Just a Broadway Baby13 years ago
-
-
Media Blogs
-
Captain America No. 1 kept in a cardboard box for 80 years sells for $716,750 - [image: Captain America No. 1 kept in a cardboard box for 80 years sells for $716,750] The Merrimack Valley Collection is a legendary comic book collection...44 minutes ago
-
‘She was pure love’: Renee Good’s partner makes first public comments as family sues U.S. government, ICE officer over her killing - NBC News - 1. ‘She was pure love’: Renee Good’s partner makes first public comments as family sues U.S. government, ICE officer over her killing NBC News ...5 hours ago
-
Best Federal Whistleblower Attorneys in D.C.: Five Firms to Know, Starting With Mundaca Law - Reporting misconduct inside a federal agency can put a career at risk, and the legal protections available are narrower and more deadline-driven than mos...1 day ago
-
Momouflage - “Back in the 70s when my mom could take a nap undisturbed because no one could find her.” The post Momouflage appeared first on AwkwardFamilyPhotos.com.5 days ago
-
Beste Online Casinos ohne LUGAS: Einsteigerleitfaden für sichere und spannende Spiele - Der Online-Casino-Markt boomt, und viele Spieler suchen nach Plattformen, die ein hohes Maß an Sicherheit und Datenschutz bieten. In diesem Leitfaden stell...2 months ago
-
FOUND WORD OTD: ACEHOOT - OOTHECA: an egg case of certain insects [n] Seen on a local farmer’s Instagram page, apparently this is the egg sac of a mantis? Wild. As for hooks, pl...11 months ago
-
Episode 326: The WGA Strike - One by one, Ken goes over the many issues the WGA is fighting for and why they’re important. He also gives an overview of the situation and how it might...3 years ago
-
The dopamine jail of joke Twitter - I’m home from vacation and the Planet Funny promotional engine is slowing down. (There’s still one last signing at Powell’s City of Books in two short week...8 years ago
-
Rex Smith: The spy who came in with a Trump tale - The phrase was chilling. Omitting the contemporary names, it evoked Cold War plots peopled with brusque patriots icily staring death in the face: “Ex-Spy G...9 years ago
-
2016 Emmy Awards – By The Rules - [image: emmys]Or as it should probably be known: the night that a broadcast network gives up three hours at the start of the season to honour cable and str...10 years ago
-
Mom Has Stacked Dinner Party Roster - GOLDEN, CO—Their eyes widening in amazement as the 43-year-old rattled off the names of heavy hitter after heavy hitter, impressed members of the Dreesh...10 years ago
-
Play reveals how Paul got Fixing a Hole from Mal Evans - The play "Beatle Mal," based on Beatles roadie Mal Evans, was performed for one night only in Liverpool, Sept 28th. In the play, it is revealed how Paul go...13 years ago
-
Week 17 NFL Picks - Last week’s 10 wins leaves me with 153 wins. Weak season. Sorry. Week 17 picks NFL Picks Away Home Chicago Detroit NY Jets Buffalo Tampa Bay Atlanta Caroli...13 years ago
-
Coverville Countdown 2012: Nominations Begin NOW! - It’s that time of year again! Time for you to nominate and vote for your favorite covers, and for me to spend the last few shows of the year to line them...13 years ago
-
Obama’s speech coverage on NPR - What were the people at NPR thinking? The coverage of President Obama’s speech on National Public Radio on Wednesday was just awful. I’ve never minded anal...15 years ago
-
-
-
Politics, Policy Blogs
-
'Matter of Life and Death': Senators Demand Trump Administration Boost Heating Aid as Iran War Hikes Costs - A group of 20 US senators on Thursday demanded that the US Department of Health and Human Services boost winter heating assistance as President Donald Tr...1 hour ago
-
New Film: “An Ordinary Insanity,” The Daniel Ellsberg Movie on the Nuclear Threat - Filmmaker Judith Ehrlich has done it again! Her 2009 film about Daniel Ellsberg, The Most Dangerous Man in America, was nominated for an Oscar. Now she is ...2 months ago
-
Mass job cuts on the horizon as Trump's economy backslides - On Tuesday, Amazon announced it is cutting 14,000 corporate jobs, becoming the latest major corporation to slash its workforce in the rapidly declining e...11 months ago
-
SLOT GACOR LGOLIVE YGGDRASIL GOLDEN FISHTANK 2 GIGABLOX - Pengen ngerasain sensasi main di akuarium penuh ikan warna-warni? Golden Fishtank 2 Gigablox dari Yggdrasil di LGOLIVE adalah slot gacor hari ini yang ba...1 year ago
-
2PP132 – 16 May 2020 - This episode was delayed, yet again, because Arthur didn’t have enough time. Anyway, here we are—were? Today’s chat was about the changes to New Zealand’s ...6 years ago
-
How to take care of your hair this winter - During cold weather, doing less to your hair will benefit it more.8 years ago
-
My New Venture: Top Flight Family - You may have noticed that you haven’t heard much from me lately. That’s because I’ve been quietly working on new passion of mine, a digital media startup o...10 years ago
-
First blog post - This is your very first post. Click the Edit link to modify or delete it, or start a new post. If you like, use this post to tell readers why you started t...10 years ago
-
‘I’m a verb’: An MTA worker responds to criticism of Leslie Jones’ Ghostbusters role - By Arturo R. García The most hopeful — and poignant — commentary surrounding Leslie Jones’… The post ‘I’m a verb’: An MTA worker responds to criticism of...10 years ago
-
10.15.15 MUSLIMS & TPP - This article originally appeared in the 10.15.15 issue of Metroland Buried under all the hoo-hah about the debates and Lamar Odom was a significant cour...10 years ago
-
The Long-term Consequences of WLS - Rich & Heather's Story - My name is Rich, but I may be better known to some of you as richie79 of the UK who used to post prolifically here on Big Fat Blog and elsewhere in the F...13 years ago
-
-
-
This Is Not A Joke - A new ball game - with tasers. Hat-tip : The Volokh Conspiracy According to The Daily Caller, Eric Prum, one of the founders of Ultimate Tak Ball, said, “I...14 years ago
-
THIS BLOG NOW MOVED. Follow the link below. Thank you! - THIS LINK TAKES YOU TO THE NEW SITE, SAME BLOG Please join me and subscribe over there. Thank you for following my work and writing.14 years ago
-
-
-
-
Websites to Which I Contribute
Page Rank
|
Check Page Rank of your Web site pages instantly: |
|
This page rank checking tool is powered by Page Rank Checker service |
Tuesday, October 04, 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




5 comments:
Sorry to tell you Roger, but I was the one that asked the question. :)
I agree with your choice of Atlanta winning, though I would like to see St. Louis win. I don't think any of the AL teams can beat either the Braves or Cards.
I am wondering how one can tell if a bug is dead by just looking at it? Okay strange question I know but hey it is me you know
Well, Kelly, if you watch it continually for months at a time and it doesn't move...
I think the Cardinals are going to win. I just think it's their year.
I'd LIKE the Cards to win. I'm no Braves fan.
Post a Comment