My Blog List

People I Know

Eclectic Folks

Media Blogs

Politics, Policy Blogs

Page Rank

Check Page Rank of your Web site pages instantly:

This page rank checking tool is powered by Page Rank Checker service

Monday, June 22, 2009

Ask Roger Anything, Solstice Edition

Now that it's summer (or winter, depending), it is time to Ask Roger Anything. Oh, but wait - I'm distracted by somebody who recently noted that if people from space came to Earth, they might conclude the South Pole is the top of the world and the North Pole is on the bottom; after all there is a large land mass. Or maybe they'd pick some point on the equator or the Tropic of Cancer. Is our sense of top and bottom somewhat arbitrary?

Usually I do this because I'm afraid I'll run out of things to write about. This is not the case presently; I have three or four blogposts re my trip to North Carolina alone. I am, though, having trouble actually composing them, or even deciding if I should. Answering YOUR questions gives me opportunity to muse on them some more.

Anyway, I already have a question from SB: "So perhaps you've already written about this, but I'd be interested to hear how libraries continue to change and evolve with stuff like Twitter and Facebook. Do libraries have their own Facebook badges? Is that - gasp! - allowed?"

Our library has a Facebook page, which is fueled in part from our blog feed. We have a Twitter feed that keeps both our blog and our website fresh. Our Facebook badge is a variation on the SBDC logo.

I've seen over 1000 libraries on both Twitter and Facebook, and I'd guesstimate that there are tens of thousands of librarians who are on one or both of the sites; I am on those, LinkedIn and a couple others.

The Library of Congress has over 10,000 followers but is following, last I checked, no one. At least the Library Journal is following a couple hundred while it is followed by over 5,000. I - and apparently others - had contacted the LOC about this, and the folks responded, rather quickly, that were worried that there would be too much noise in the feed. I'm not sure I agree with their thought process.

So, any other questions, folks? Everything is on the table. Let your mind get creative.

ROG

1 comment:

Scott said...

Since obtaining your current job, have you ever thought of switching careers?

Do you think the Obama administration will be able to make changes to the current health care systems? If so, do you think it will truly change for the better?

Who do you think will be in the World Series, and who will win it?

When growing up, did you play in any organized baseball leagues?

Is so, what position(s) did you play? (If you didn't, what position would you have liked to play?)

Who was your favorite baseball player while growing up?

Do you have a favorite baseball player now? If so, who and why?

Any big travel plans for the summer months?