My Blog List

People I Know

Eclectic Folks

Media Blogs

Politics, Policy Blogs

Page Rank

Check Page Rank of your Web site pages instantly:

This page rank checking tool is powered by Page Rank Checker service

Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Barry Manilow Turns 65 66

And I thought I'd acknowledge that; now I have.




Actually, there is one song Manilow wrote and performed that I rather like. Call it a guilty pleasure. And no, it's not "I Write The Songs", which was actually written by sometime Beach Boy Bruce Johnston, the guy who wrote 'Disney Girls (1957)'. Bruce, BTW, turns 65 on June 27.

The Manilow song I like is Could It Be Magic. I love how the intro morphs into the main theme and then morphs back into the outro piano bit. Here is how Barry himself describes it: "I thought I had come up with the coolest batch of chords in my composing experience. And then I realized that before I had that glass of wine, I had been playing my Chopin preludes. And I wrote the song around Chopin's 'Prelude in C Minor.'"

This has brought me a whole lot of sympathy for at least some of the musicians who have cribbed parts of other songs. I always believed George Harrison when he copped 'He's So Fine' for 'My Sweet Lord'. Paul McCartney was so worried that he had inadvertently stolen the tune for 'Yesterday' that he ran around asking people if they'd heard the song before. The difference between Harrison and Manilow is that Manilow's subconscious had the wisdom to swipe from a dead guy whose work is in the public domain, while Harrison pilfered from a more recent composition.

Manilow
Chopin
ROG

4 comments:

Marie Reed said...

I hopped over and watched the song on youtube:) The vid featured Manilow in his 20's.. Of course I know this song too! It's quite lovely!

Crissy said...

My favorite Barry Manilow song is Could It Be Magic and being a fan for 35 years, I have a lot to choose from. By the way, Barry's 66 today, and he was in his 30's in that video.

Rebecca Hickman said...

Happy Birthday!

Roger Owen Green said...

I've since seen references to Manilow born in 1946 and 1943. Based on a bio, I'm now convinced that it's 1943, which would make him 66. at least the date's right.