My Blog List

People I Know

Eclectic Folks

Media Blogs

Politics, Policy Blogs

Page Rank

Check Page Rank of your Web site pages instantly:

This page rank checking tool is powered by Page Rank Checker service

Wednesday, June 10, 2009

U is for the United States

I was thinking of the changes that the USCIS has made in the citizenship test to become a U.S. citizen. Just based on this sampling, the new test seem more vague.

TEST before October 1, 2008 - Sample U.S. Citizenship Test Questions:
1. How many stars are there on the US flag?
2. How many states are there in the Union?
3. What color are the stars on our flag?
4. What do the stars on the flag mean?
5. How many stripes are there on the flag?
6. What date is the Day of Independence?
7. The US achieved Independence from whom?
8. What country did we fight during the Revolutionary War?
9. Who was the first President of the United States?
10. What do we call a change of the Constitution?
All pretty straightforward, I think. (If you need the answers, e-mail me.)

REDESIGNED TEST - Sample U.S. Citizenship Test Questions:
1. Name one war fought by the United States in the 1900s.
OK, pretty easy. Well, unless you get all technical about it. If Congress is supposed to declare war, are the armed conflicts the US has had after WWII actually wars?
2. What did Susan B. Anthony do?
Well, I'm sure she DID lots of different things, such as eating breakfast. I know that fighting for women's suffrage is the answer, but it feels awkwardly phrased.
3. What is one thing Benjamin Franklin is famous for?
Would philandering be an acceptable answer? Yeah, they want the almanac, electricity, the stove, eyewear, diplomat to France and that type of thing, but again, pretty open-ended.
4. There were 13 original states. Name three.
Pretty easy - just stay on the east coast and don't pick Maine, Vermont or Florida.
5. What is one responsibility that is only for United States citizens?
Huh? Is this a reference to voting? If so, other people vote in their own countries and lots of people here don't. If it's serving on juries, lots of people get out that. Non-citizens serve in the military, and most citizens don't.
6. What does the judicial branch do?
I get a lot of right-wing literature, so if someone wrote "make law", they might very well think they're right.
7. Name your U.S. Representative.
Now, THAT'S a good question. Mine's Paul Tonko, freshman Democrat.
8. Who makes federal laws?
Unless you answer The Supreme Court, easy one.
9. What does the Constitution do?
Well it DOES a lot of things, including setting terms of government officials. Another amorphous question.
10. What is the supreme law of the land?
Ah, a tough but knowable question. Article VI of the Constitution of the United States contains the "supremacy clause," which establishes that laws passed by Congress, treaties of the United States with other nations, and the Constitution "shall be the supreme Law of the Land."

Here's another sample test; looks rather old school, though. For new test guides, I'd go to the USCIS site.

I recently took one of those Could you pass the U.S. citizenship test? things on Facebook and got 19 out of 20; don't know what I missed. Being an American, and hearing how some of my fellow citizens interpret things, I've long believed that non-Americans might well fare better on the citizenship test than those born in the USA.
***
Curious thing: I was riding my bike to church a week and a half ago and, as usual, checked out the license plates. understand that church is only 1.6 miles from my house, according to Mapquest. I saw plates from the states of MA, NJ, and VT; not at all unusual. I also saw plates from PA and FL, not rare. (Folks from Florida often come north for the summer.) But I also saw CA, DE, MD, MI, OH, RI, SC, TX, VA, and WI. It was not a college graduation weekend. Most peculiar.



ROG

11 comments:

photowannabe said...

Very thoughtful post. I agree that the questions leave something to be desired. Great choice for the letter U.

Gordon said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Gordon said...

Food for though for sure. I doubt whether I would have passed either the old one or the new one, but then if I wanted to migrate, I would do some study.

Similarly in Australia, I suspect that many Aussies would not pass an Australian citizenship test either.

anthonynorth said...

Those new questions seem strange after the straight forward approach of the first ones.
I answered all of them bar two, by the way - not bad for a Brit :-)
And really, it was only one - I don't have a US Representative.

Marie Reed said...

Those are truly bizarre questions! Philandering and breakfast eating...*grin* You're wonderful Roger!

Mara said...

I think it's the same for a lot of countries. People trying to live in the Netherlands have to be able to speak Dutch and pass a test full of questions about things most Dutch wouldn't know! And in the end, it's only book learning any way. Knowing all the answers doesn't make it enough, living the life would be closer to becoming an inhabitant I feel.

Rune Eide said...

Why did they change it? As a foreigner I could have answered all of them right now - but the new ones...

Ambiguity is right. I think I'll stay at home.

jay said...

Interesting. To a non-American, it looks as if the questions have got harder, which is the opposite to what is happening here.

I read out the one about Benjamin Franklin to my husband. He has a passing interest in Franklin because he's been told many times that he looks just like him, and anyway, he's interested in American politics.

He laughed, and then said, somewhat cryptically, 'Lightning rod!' LOL!

dianasfaria.com said...

very impressive. I think I need to go back to school! Thanks for the lesson.

kRiZcPEc said...

Thanks sharing. Think if there is one day I applied for green card and waiting to be naturalized, I might send your an email.

Tumblewords: said...

Great choice for U. I may need to study up a bit. :)